No announcement yet.

High temp brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I do high heat I smoke till 160 internal temp then wrap it and pull it at 195 to 200 internal temp. Comes out great everytime.

Comment

I have a tendency to run hot, more by circumstance than on purpose. Usually end up 250 to 300. A few weeks ago I was cleaning and getting ready for my daughters graduation and didnt pay enough attention. Was over 250 the entire time. I was glad because I only had about 10hrs to do it. At 4hrs I wrapped it. At 7hrs I figured I better check just to see, figured I would need a couple more hrs. The poker slipped right in! I poked a couple more times and couldnt belive it was done so checked temp and it was already 205. I figured I ruined it. Wrapped and put in cooler. Everyone said it was great, but it was too tender. Overdone. It was still juicy and good but too soft. Fastest I have ever had one done.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        The flat will have more moisture. You just can’t walk off and forget it. If you planning on taking a nap, going fishing, going to hang out I much prefer the chip smoker. Low and slow is hard to mess up in my opinion and you can be lazy about it

First person I have ever seen say a flat has more moisture... Hopefully that was a typo..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          First person I have ever seen say a flat has more moisture... Hopefully that was a typo..
          I read it twice, i think he means the flat has more moisture in high temp vs low and slow, not flat vs point

Comment

Originally posted by snappertapper View Post
            I read it twice, i think he means the flat has more moisture in high temp vs low and slow, not flat vs point

Ahhh...thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Since we are talking about briskets, the other day I cooked a 7 lber on my BGE. I used the deflector plate and cooked it between 225 and 250 until it reached an internal of 160. Pulled and wrapped in foil then put it back on until 205 then rapped in towel and let it rest in a cooler. Flavor was there, but it never got a bark to it. Am I cooking to low in the initial phase?

Comment

I smoke 275-300. Then when I do my brisket/wild gamecsuoer secret trick I kick it up to 325ish forca few hours.

No such thing as overdone imho. Fork tender brisket is one of the finer things on earth. Taco time. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yea. Sorry. Same brisket cook slow or high temp. Flat seems to have more moisture sealed high temp method

Comment

300-325 works just fine. I typically wrap after a few hours, place in a pan, and then cover pan too to help retain moisture. Be sure to let the meat cure for an hour or so. Total cook time should be about 5 hours or less at those temps.

Comment

I'm not buying into any 5 hour brisket method. Nope.

8 hours for market trimmed. 12 for regular.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                        Since we are talking about briskets, the other day I cooked a 7 lber on my BGE. I used the deflector plate and cooked it between 225 and 250 until it reached an internal of 160. Pulled and wrapped in foil then put it back on until 205 then rapped in towel and let it rest in a cooler. Flavor was there, but it never got a bark to it. Am I cooking to low in the initial phase?
                        I have found it hard to get good back in a kamado style cooker. I believe it is due to using different type of heat and fuel versus a pit or offset stick burner

Comment

I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker and it only gets to 275. I just did a 13lb that took about 14hrs at 225. Pulled it off at 204*

I don’t wrap mine during the cook, mainly because I’m lazy and just let it ride

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                            I have found it hard to get good back in a kamado style cooker. I believe it is due to using different type of heat and fuel versus a pit or offset stick burner

I don't have that problem on my BGE, I have seen no difference between the bark an egg or an offset smoker. The egg is just easier to maintain temp.

Last edited by TXJIM; 05-27-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
                              I'm not buying into any 5 hour brisket method. Nope.

8 hours for market trimmed. 12 for regular.

Cooked one this morning holding around 300 and it cooked in 6.75 hrs. Fastest ive ever got one done. Dont know the size, but it was quite a bit smaller ive ever done. Maybe around 10#. Reason it got done so fast though is it didnt stall. First time thats ever happened also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have one on my Vision kamado for this afternoon's get together.

Do y'all look for a target temp to pull and rest or test for tenderness with a probe? I seem to have finally gotten past the stall and am sitting at 190. I hate to open the cooker even for a second as at this point the fuel is usually getting low and it might not recover.

Comment

Working...
                                X