No announcement yet.

Real World Performance Between 223 & 22-250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nosler partitions in the 22-250 are outstanding for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
      Think of it this way, the .223 to the .22-250 would be like comparing a .308 to a .300 win mag. Not even in the same ball park with each other. The .22-250 is the magnum version of the .223.
      308 to a 30-06.
      .220 swift would be the 300 .
      Super speed kills

Comment

Originally posted by bustacap View Post
        I’ve had both and my choice would be a 22-250 with 60gr partitions or 62gr ttsx
        If you have a fast twist 22-250. If you have the common 1-14" twist you won't stabilize either of those bullets.

Comment

Your 223 has plenty of juice with the right bullet. Take a look at this thread. Every page is worth reading.

DON'T HAVE TIME TO READ 176 PAGES? HERE'S THE CHEAT SHEET. “Bullets matter more than headstamps.” “Spent primers offer the supreme tutorial”. I’ve read it here and elsewhere online. It got my attention. I started digging and asking questions and listened. The 77gr TMK delivered by a .223...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
            If you have a fast twist 22-250. If you have the common 1-14" twist you won't stabilize either of those bullets.
            In that case, drop down to a 52gr tsx

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              I was not expecting what I got with the 22-250. There was a tiny hole in, typical 22 caliber. Then on the back side of the neck, was a surprise. The hide was sliced open, like it has been sliced with a very sharp knife, for about 6", vertically. I had never seen anything like that before....
              Have had a few do the same. One or two perfect slits instead of a full exit. All drt of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Apodz View Post
                Put a suppressor on that 243 and you will be fine. Heck you could put a suppressor on most calibers and there isn’t going to be much recoil.
                What he said.

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
                  Think of it this way, the .223 to the .22-250 would be like comparing a .308 to a .300 win mag. Not even in the same ball park with each other. The .22-250 is the magnum version of the .223.
                  What he said too

Comment

I can't tell you anymore then what has already been posted.... I own both & have shot multiple critters with both & for what you are wanting 22-250 all day long & never look back

Comment

Bolt gun 22-250
                      AR 223

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                        Your 223 has plenty of juice with the right bullet. Take a look at this thread. Every page is worth reading.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...-moose.130488/
                        I was going to post the same link!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                          I was going to post the same link!
                          Yup. I would take a 77 grain TMK in 223 over any 22-250 with a 55 grain bullet.

People can argue ballistics on paper all they want. Seeing physical evidence of the damage on an elk and even a moose with a 77 grain TMK from the lowly 223 has me convinced that I never need another caliber for deer.

Comment

62gr soft point in 223 for my wife is where its at so far. She is from california, so she's had quite a few new experiences in her last 7 years with me. Shot her first deer this year. dropped next to the feeder, and it even sounds pretty nice with suppressor.

Comment

Originally posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
                              In terms of the seat of the pants performance the 250 is far superior but I think the ultimate tale of the tape is how heavy a bullet you can stabilize. My 250 VLS is a pure shooter but the 1:12 twist is relatively slow and doesn’t really care for bullets over 55 grains. The .223’s are usually a quicker twist and will by nature work better with heavier payloads. Even handloading never produced the desired results, I could never get great groups with the 60 grain Partion in my 250 which would have made been a formidable load. I just couldn’t stomach a sub 1/2” MOA gun shooting 1” groups.
                              Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                              Bergara makes a 9 twist 250, and Ruger had a run of 8 twist American Predators. Personally I just built a 22 Creedmoor in an 8 twist, but I wouldn’t have any reservations about a fast twist 250 either. That Bergara would be the leader of the pack for me in a factory rifle.
                              I'm thinking about threading and putting a can on my 22-250. What length barrel could I cut it down to and still get solid downrange performance out of a 1-12" barrel shooting 50-55gr bullets? 16"? 18"? 20"?

Comment

Originally posted by offthemap View Post
                                I'm thinking about threading and putting a can on my 22-250. What length barrel could I cut it down to and still get solid downrange performance out of a 1-12" barrel shooting 50-55gr bullets? 16"? 18"? 20"?
                                I don't like hunting with any of my 18+ inch rifles with a can. They feel too cumbersome to me. I have gotten to where I want to cut basically every caliber I have down to 16"... I know it isn't feasible but I hate shooting without can nowadays. What has ended up happening is that instead of grabbing my 22" 243 for deer, I just hunted with my 16" Ruger ranch 556. Never even shot my deer rifle this year.

Comment

Working...
                                X