MLD permits and deer head requirements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD permits and deer head requirements

Several years ago I hunted as a guest with a friend on an MLD property and we were checked by a game warden at the gate leaving the property. We had our deer in ice chests and the deer heads with the MLD permits attached. The game warden told us that we were NOT required to keep the head and only had to have the permit filled out properly and told us the best way to do it is put the MLD permit in a Ziploc and place it on top of the ice in the cooler containing the deer meat. He told us that MLD properties are treated differently and not required to keep the head until final destination as you are required to do when using the tags attached to your hunting license. This past weekend I was a guest on a different MLD property and all the deer the lease members killed this past weekend were tagged with MLD permits and they attached to the deer head for transport back home. I told them what the game warden told us when we were checked on the previous trip to an MLD property but I don't think they believed me. I told them they should check with their TPWD biologist or local game warden to ask if you are required to keep the head until final destination.
    These are my only experiences on an MLD property. I know a lot of you guys are experienced on hunting MLD properties so I wanted to ask the GS, if you are you hunting on MLD property are you required to keep the deer head with the permit attached to final destination or can you discard the deer head after completing the MLD permit and transport to final destination with only the permit?

Yep, all you need is the tag.

Comment

Last bullet
      Attached Files

Comment

Just make sure you fill out the separate harvest log.

Comment

Just need tag, no need for proof of sex. If antlers are separated from meat, tag goes with the meat and wildlife resource doc goes with antlers.

Comment

Tag in a bag in the cooler is all you need

Comment

The MLD tag is the proof of sex. Nothing else is needed. If you read the tag. What you killed is stated on it. The head is not needed.

Comment

I had this discussion when I was on MLD about 6 years ago. The "seasoned" members running the lease didn't believe me. I showed them the annual and the statement, still didn't agree. They talked with the game warden during the off season. Low and behold, we didn't bring the heads home the next year.

Comment

Working...
                X