Youth Rifle recommendations???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good caliber for 12 year old with as little recoil as possible. Not against something with a bull barrel it will be a blind gun. What caliber would you go with for good whitetail/axis size animals? I have a 300BO in an AR platform but just don’t think it’s got enough knock down power. What you say green screen? Anybody have anything for sale?

I bought my son a Savage model 11 243 caliber bolt action. It has the accutrigger. I bought the reduced recoil 87 grain SST Hornady ammo. Very compact, minimal recoil but not a lot of knock down on whitetail. Very accurate & sweet shooting little rifle with a 3x9 Nikon scope
    Good luck

Comment

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

.243 ok !
        .270 better !
        More horsepower without taking a beating.
        Prob allows for more error on shot placement.
        Axis can be tough.

Comment

223 with the right bullet

Read through this: https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...-moose.130488/

Comment

Browning X-Bolt Micro in 6.5 Creed or 7mm-08.

Comment

7-08 with reduced recoil loads.

The 300 AAC is awesome on perfect shots! H has dropped 4 deer with his.
              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You got the ar I love the 6.5G for my daughter. It’s hammered every animal it’s touched

Comment

6.8spc

Comment

After going through this with 2 boys I like the 243. A Ruger American in a compact or full size does nicely.

Comment

7mm-08

Comment

My kids both started with the 243 using the hornady lite ammo, we have shot and killed a lot of deer and pigs (big pigs) with absolutely no issues. I find that round to be deadly. My daughter got a hold of my 6.5cm last year and now she won’t hunt with anything else.
                        I have a 7-08 and while I like it, it has the most recoil of the three.
                        If I was starting over I’d go 6.5cm
                        Lite recoil, great knockdown power and great at long ranges if your kids have the confidence. My daughter regularly kills pigs at 170-180yds which I consider a long shot for any youth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

One of the guys on here has a ruger 7.62x39 for sale with scope and ammo. Kicks less then my 708 does with a bigger chuck of lead then a 243

Comment

In on this one. Will be looking in the near future for more if a youth model/setup. Have several .243s 25-06s but really wanting one with a smaller frame/stock. Have been kicking around the idea of a 7mm-08.

Comment

223 with the right pill will be more than adequate.
                              The 783 remington is an inexpensive accurate choice
                              That you can unload when the time comes..
                              Last edited by BigOh!; 01-02-2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X