2nd career options - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MONSTERKEN View Post
    Man, if I were you, I would look for a maintenance position at a Data Center, School, College, University, or Hospital or Medical Facility. I was an electrician for most of my life, got into HVAC Controls and then Building Automation. Covid shut the doors on the Building Automation dept at the last company I worked for and now am working in the Engineering dept for a hospital. I can honestly say that for the first time in my life I love my job, and I love where I work. I am 7 minutes from the house, and can set my own hours.

Getting into those trades this late in life can be a beating. As a green apprentice youll get stuck with all the schitt work. Unless you dont really care and just want to be there for a paycheck, then I suggest electrical trade. But then if you want to go where the money is, look into high voltage electricians, like lineman work. Or on the other end of the spectrum get into fiber optic work, or other low voltage work. There's my .02

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

This.
    My best friend’s dad did this and loves it. Problem solving, little bit of everything, his life experience is valuable and helps, meeting people and finding other opportunities. Lots of benefits without the grind of committing to one thing and having to pay your dues with a shovel or covered in crap.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
      What's wrong with hunting and fishing everyday?

RETIRE for GOOD!

Enjoy life, that's what i do. Hunt when everyone else is working, get on the lake when there's no one else! Its the best!

Man I’d love to, I turn 46 Thursday so I’m looking at bailing out at around 54/55 if possible so I’ll need to do something for a little income. I’ve thought about getting my license and running some fishing trips on the lake but I keep thinking enjoy fishing too much for that. I think there is definitely room for a reliable general maintenance guy here as you can see from all the comments about the lack of reliable people so that’s kinda what I’m leaning towards. I think if I could pick up 8-10 high end properties to take care of it would be perfect. Thinks Would slow down in the winter and give me time to hunt. I’m just scared I may need to a real fall back skill/trade. I really don’t want to go to work for another 8-5 that I know. If I can convince my wife to find a teaching job for just a couple years after we move up it will be much better, some lead time to get something started up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

This is why the can’t wait to get here full time. Just crawled in the tripod, nice spot just off the lake about 100yds
        I can fish until just before the feeder throws, park the boat and hop in.

Comment

2nd career options - advice

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          This is why the can’t wait to get here full time. Just crawled in the tripod, nice spot just off the lake about 100yds
          I can fish until just before the feeder throws, park the boat and hop in.
          I believe that is the definition of paradise!!

Comment

Great thread. I too am trying to figure out what to do after I retire for extra income. I'm 51 now and will be retiring at 57 with 30 years in the fire service.

Comment

I retired n May, moved to a place with 6.46 acres and have more to do on my place that I do not want a second career. I have one fixing up my place like I want.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
                One word of advice, don’t be a cop.

Can’t wait til retirement and I’ve got a while.
                Amen brother! 5 more years for me and I’m out! Stay safe out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                  I retired n May, moved to a place with 6.46 acres and have more to do on my place that I do not want a second career. I have one fixing up my place like I want.

I don’t want one but think I’ll need one. Understand your position I’ll have 235 acres to care for too and that already keeps me busier than I like. I’m a busy person though, can’t stand to sit around.

Comment

The best ‘jobs’ are the ones with the highest barriers to entry.

Long training, expensive equipment or highly specialized will net you the biggest nut.

Find something that not everyone is doing - anyone can buy a lawnmower and start cutting grass, very few folks own a dozer or a backhoe.

When I retire in just a few years, I’ll have a few hundred thousand dollars worth of earth moving equipment that I’ve been buying as I go, so I’ll be ready to get to work.

I can’t wait to play in the dirt!

Comment

Be a handy man! I have rentals, and finding a reliable handy man or trades people is near impossible. Get with realtors and landlords who need reliable people. I can make appointments with 10 handy men for make ready on a rental, 5 will No show, couple will buy way to high or have no clue what they are doing and the one will be drunk! haha!

Comment

Working...
                      X