No announcement yet.

Inaugural TBH Oklahoma Big Buck Contest, East vs West! "Mod Approved"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ya like the very first entry,? Ha. Stud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

West side:
      Attached Files

Comment

dang sideways! Anyone know how to fix that?

Comment

And just like that unless a miracle happens I'm out of this contest...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
            West side:

Here you go, Sir. Outstanding deer! Thanks for sharing.

If you are of a mind, giving us a brief history, play by play, etc. would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Booner Sooner View Post

Here you go, Sir. Outstanding deer! Thanks for sharing.

If you are of a mind, giving us a brief history, play by play, etc. would be appreciated.
              Thanks Booner!

Yes, here is the story.

New lease this year and my first year hunting Ok...I have 4 other new lease partners and they are all awesome guys to work and hunt with.

The night before the opener, we sat around the campfire and figured out who was going to hunt where in the morning. The more "visited" stands where we've seen good bucks were already taken and since I was the 4th pick, I said I would go to East Creek and shoot a doe - they were pretty consistent at that stand location.

Well, I got to the stand around 6:10am and watched the woods wake up. Right at 7:30, 6 does come out and are 40 yards away in some brush. I thought well, for sure they are going to come into the feeder like they do every other day.

I just happened to look back at a clearing where the does came out and Bang - there he was just standing there facing me.

This buck was 6.5 years old and two other guys on the lease hunted him hard last year but weren't able to connect. We had named him Tall Boy since he is a little narrow but has very long, tall beams.

He watches the does for a few minutes then hops in the pen for breakfast. I let him get settled and when he gives me the quartering away shot, I take it.

He does a big ole mule kick and bolts out of the pen towards the creek. I sent a text to the lease partners saying I just shot Tall Boy. This was at 7:52am on opening day!!

Two other guys from the lease came over and helped me track him. We had good blood starting about 20 yards past the shot. He crossed the creek and made a circle coming back to the creek. That is where we lost the blood trail.

Immediately, I start second guessing how good of a shot it was....I was walking the creek edge and saw something laying in the creek almost completely submerged. I got a closer look and yelled, I got him!

I handed one of the guys my phone and my bow and went for a swim. It was only knee high but a little chilly for sure. I dragged him to the other side and we pulled him up the bank and into the Ranger.

We all exchanged high fives and drove back to the lease where we caped and quartered him.

Overall, it was an awesome opener!! New lease, new state, new hunting partners and a great 6.5 year old buck!!!

Comment

Congrats on a really nice buck!!!
                Spread is just air. How wide was he? Mine was only 13 3/8” inside.

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
                  Congrats on a really nice buck!!!
                  Spread is just air. How wide was he? Mine was only 13 3/8” inside.
                  14 4/8s

Comment

Just so I'm on the scoreboard. West side near Coleman (Atoka Co). But I knew some of yall have real monsters. This was my early target buck. Maybe will have something later.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Good looking deer dfkoon. Congrats

Comment

Inaugural TBH Oklahoma Big Buck Contest, East vs West! "Mod Approved"

Headed out for my last morning. My buddy shot our target deer yesterday evening with a muzzle loader. Should be a fun morning in the stand. Blue dot is me.

Last edited by HoustonHunter94; 10-27-2020, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Well I managed to seal the deal this morning in the snow. I’ve never got to hunt in the snow so it was pretty cool. This guy came by just after 8am. I hit a little forward in the shoulder but watched him bed down. Then he got up and limped about 10yds and went down again. I snuck in and put another arrow in him but he was already done. Wasn’t needed. Won’t win any prizes in our contest but I’m happy with him. Good luck everyone and congratulations to the folks who have already got some bruisers on the board.

Comment

Congrats man, thats a good deer !!!

Comment

Looks cold! I spent all day in a tree here in SE OK and it never got below 37. Can’t imagine sitting in that windy snow blow field. Congrats on the buck.

Comment

In for west

Comment

Working...
                                X