Bore Sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bore Sighting

Any suggestions on a good place in N Austin, RR, Georgetown area to get a gun bore sighted? I bought my wife a 7mm-08 and had a scope put on but the gunsmith didnt have anything to bore sight it with. Given the ammo situation I would rather have it bore sighted before sighting it in. Hopefully that will save me a few rounds.

It's super easy to do yourself. Youtube has some videos.

Comment

You can pull the bolt and sight down the tube at 20 yards. Adjust your crosshairs accordingly and you should be pretty close. This is how I do all of mine and can usually have it good to go in under 6 rounds or so.

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
        Just looked on youtube which led me to Amazon. I'm just going to order a laser. That will be cheaper than taking is somewhere and I will have it for the future.

Comment

All lazer bore sights are not created equal. Those made for caliber specific are more likely to work better.

Comment

I have bought two laser bore sighters. Both have four screws so you can get the laser perfectly centered, they were not perfectly centered when I got either of them. It can be tedious to get the laser centered, before you can use it in the gun, to bore sight the gun.

I have been bore sighting guns for many years, by removing the bolt, setting the gun up on some sand bags, make sure it is very solid. Then look down the bore, the through the scope. With both adjusting caps off of the scope, turn the turrets till you get the crosshairs lined up with the center of the bore. When looking down the bore, you need to look perfectly down the bore. So that the hole at the muzzle end, is perfectly centered inside the chamber end of the barrel. Then get the center of the target, in the center of the barrel. Once you have that, look through the scope and adjust it, till the crosshairs line up with the center of the target.

I used to be able to get the bullets within 6" of the bull at 100", with my bore sighting. In the past eight years or so, I can usually get the gun, close enough, it will be within 2", numerous, times, I have been inside of 1" of the bull, with just a bore sighting.

If it does not work, either you don't have the center of the target properly centered within the barrel, or you have some other problem, with the mounts or the scope it's self.

The laser sighters, do work, once you get the laser properly adjusted. Once you have that gun, put the laser in the gun and sight it in. Like I said, I have two laser sighters. Both I bought with intensions of using them as a alignment tool for automotive purposes. I machined some adaptors then installed the laser in the adaptor I made. One I use for checking rear axle tubes, to make sure they are straight. It works great. Then other I use it for lining up the main bearing bores of a engine, with the pinion bore of a rear axle, when setting up a race car. Both work great for what I am using them for. But both, I had to spend a lot of time, getting the laser, to where it was shooting perfectly straight out of the brass, piece that simulates a cartridge case. Both of them it was tedious.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              I have bought two laser bore sighters. Both have four screws so you can get the laser perfectly centered, they were not perfectly centered when I got either of them. It can be tedious to get the laser centered, before you can use it in the gun, to bore sight the gun.

I have been bore sighting guns for many years, by removing the bolt, setting the gun up on some sand bags, make sure it is very solid. Then look down the bore, the through the scope. With both adjusting caps off of the scope, turn the turrets till you get the crosshairs lined up with the center of the bore. When looking down the bore, you need to look perfectly down the bore. So that the hole at the muzzle end, is perfectly centered inside the chamber end of the barrel. Then get the center of the target, in the center of the barrel. Once you have that, look through the scope and adjust it, till the crosshairs line up with the center of the target.

I used to be able to get the bullets within 6" of the bull at 100", with my bore sighting. In the past eight years or so, I can usually get the gun, close enough, it will be within 2", numerous, times, I have been inside of 1" of the bull, with just a bore sighting.

If it does not work, either you don't have the center of the target properly centered within the barrel, or you have some other problem, with the mounts or the scope it's self.

The laser sighters, do work, once you get the laser properly adjusted. Once you have that gun, put the laser in the gun and sight it in. Like I said, I have two laser sighters. Both I bought with intensions of using them as a alignment tool for automotive purposes. I machined some adaptors then installed the laser in the adaptor I made. One I use for checking rear axle tubes, to make sure they are straight. It works great. Then other I use it for lining up the main bearing bores of a engine, with the pinion bore of a rear axle, when setting up a race car. Both work great for what I am using them for. But both, I had to spend a lot of time, getting the laser, to where it was shooting perfectly straight out of the brass, piece that simulates a cartridge case. Both of them it was tedious.
              Thanks for all the info. I just did the looking down the bore method. I also ordered a laser so I'll see if that is different when I get it. I'll get there either way, just trying to save some ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hills of Texas View Post
                You can pull the bolt and sight down the tube at 20 yards. Adjust your crosshairs accordingly and you should be pretty close. This is how I do all of mine and can usually have it good to go in under 6 rounds or so.
                This is what I do except at 100 yards .

Comment

as others have pointed out... put rifle in a stationary rest, remove bolt, look at target 25 yds away, align center of bore with cross-hairs

I've been doing it this way for 30+ years ... works like a champ

Comment

One thing I'll add. Back off from the bore. The farther back you can get the better. If I can stand 5 yards back from the rifle I will. Also get a good rest. When you shoot the first shot, put the crosshairs back on the bull and WITHOUT moving the rifle move the crosshairs to the impact hole. Should put you in an inch with one shot.

Comment

Yes!

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                      it ain't hard. It's kinda fun to do it yourself.

Comment

Great advice

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                        One thing I'll add. Back off from the bore. The farther back you can get the better. If I can stand 5 yards back from the rifle I will. Also get a good rest. When you shoot the first shot, put the crosshairs back on the bull and WITHOUT moving the rifle move the crosshairs to the impact hole. Should put you in an inch with one shot.
                        Excellent advice!

Comment

Originally posted by TX Outlaw View Post
                          This is what I do except at 100 yards .
                          Same here just at 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                            as others have pointed out... put rifle in a stationary rest, remove bolt, look at target 25 yds away, align center of bore with cross-hairs

I've been doing it this way for 30+ years ... works like a champ
                            Yup— plus first zero at 25 you’re going to be close at 100 for many calibers and rifles.

Comment

Working...
                            X