Wildlife and the cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wildlife and the cold?

Forecast just keeps getting worse. The wind and precip on top of the temps. Going to be sub zero wind chills for a long time. At what point will wildlife that arent used to it, start to die? All my feeders are full. Thinking I might go dump a couple hundred pounds out of each one to give them some extra calories.

I was wondering the same thing. I have spoken with our biologist and he said that the deer will seek refuge in some thicker grass/brushed areas as this will keep them out of the wind and the thicker grass areas helps retain their body heat and keep them warm. High energy foods such as cottonseed, soybeans, alfalfa, etc. are very important as the more they eat the more their body can produce energy or heat. He said that a lot of deer will probably get frost bitten ears and stuff like that but they will most likely be okay. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Going to be tough on wildlife for sure. I don't usually feed them, but I did throw out some seed for the birds and squirrels.

Comment

Yep, tough. We are getting as much high energy food as possible out. Lots of corn along with pellets

Comment

I'm about to go dump about 1500 pounds of corn. Still have cameras out so be curious to see what they show.

Comment

We are heading to Kansas next week to get some corn and cotton out.

Comment

Working...
            X