Northeast Louisiana / Tensas River Deer Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northeast Louisiana / Tensas River Deer Hunt

Tomorrow evening and Wednesday morning I will be hunting in Northeast Louisiana on the Tensas River. I am used to hunting the South Texas Brush and the Hill Country so this will be a cool change of scenery.

I hear this area near the Mississippi River can grow some absolute toad bucks. However I will likely just be on cull/management duty which is all good.

Have any of you hunted this area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every year since childhood. It’s completely different from south and west Texas, but there are some true swamp donkeys out there!

Comment

Hehehe..... very, very different than what you're accustomed to hunting, but, there are some true monsters in that area. Great luck!

Comment

Bring lots of socks, it’s a swamp,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up hunting LA for the first 22 years of my life! I miss it. Some great deer with huge bodies if they can get some age on them. Enjoy and take lots of pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I grew up hunting and fishing just out of St. Joseph La on a place called Winter Quarters. Amazing magical wonderland that shaped not just my youth but my whole life. Enjoy the experience

Comment

Good duck hunting also.

Comment

Yup, where the Tensas refuge is, well we use to hunt that before it is what it is now. My grandparents lived basically there, farmers, and I still have relatives farming that area.

Comment

I’ve hunted the refuge quite a bit and some private land in the area but haven’t in the last 10 years.

A lot of black bears over there now.

Definitely a cool area to hunt and there are some big deer in that area.

Comment

I am pumped after these reply’s. I’ll keep this updated with pictures and LDPs if there are any!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The rut is later there like South Texas...but otherwise it'll be a totally different experience.

One cool element about hunting swampy ground is hearing the animals footsteps splashing before you see them.

Good Luck!

Comment

Watch out for the waist high palmettos...the big cotton mouths like to lay in the tops

Comment

I hunt not too far south from there on Public Land. Doe are locked up right now and have been since about January 14. I've been hunting and have others hunting as well and unfortunately not a lot of activity right now do to being in the first breeding period. However, the bucks are on the move and yes they're big. A 2.5 year old will go 200 pounds and the mature bucks go 250-270. So depending on how you look at it, you may be hitting it just right.

I grunted in a nice 3.5 year old buck Friday and saw another one Saturday. Both had their heads to the ground searching. About a week ago a buddy shot three bucks out of the same tree over a week period. He only saw three deer in the 10 ish days he hunted but all were bucks searching. One scored 162. Second Rut is just kicking in and so should see some more movement the next few days. Not too mention cold front coming through tomorrow and an increasing moon helps. I'll be out there Thursday through Sunday.

I can't emphasize enough that you need to be in the stand as long and as much as possible right now. Bucks are roaming and searching all day long. At this time of the year I find the deer are hitting the stripe oaks acorns hard and find the bucks to be in the palmettos and flooded bottoms terrain. Deer have been responsive to doe bleet cans.

Good Luck!

Comment

I hunt the refuge every year. I killed 2 does this year. Here is a buck the neighbor killed this past year. The nutalls are dropping, find a hot one with a lot of poo around it and you should be in for some action.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

in...good luck

Comment

Working...
                              X