Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part 2..... ammo still suck or a barrel issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part 2..... ammo still suck or a barrel issue?

Another friend got his 6.5 Grendel put together and took to range. Shot fair with some ammo. When done shooting went to unload bullet from chamber and there was powder EVERYWHERE????

Took BCG out and barrel was blocked. Bullet was very easily removed luckily. I’m no gun junky but have shoot tons of ammo and never seen this happen

This a seating issue? Or poor bullet quality?

Wasn’t my gun
    Attached Files

Factory ammo or reloads?

Comment

Factory

Comment

Hard to imagine with factory ammo. But if it happened, it happened. Glad nothing more serious resulted.

Comment

The bullet was stuck in the throat, why is hard to say. It is probably a really short chamber, but it could be that the bullet is seated out too far in the ammo.

Comment

Bullet seated too long. Bullet got stuck in the rifling. Handloads or factory ammo?

Comment

What brand barrel? If BCA, tell him to cut his losses and use it for a tent stake.

Take a couple rounds and color the bullets with a sharpie. Chamber them gently. They should be essentially unmarked when you pull them out. If they have rifling marks on them, I'd be in contact with the barrel manufacturer post haste.
              Last edited by bearintex; 02-24-2020, 06:24 AM.

Comment

There are also 2 types of Grendel bolts and chambers. Type I and Type II. Possible he has a Type I bolt in a Type II chamber. I have no idea how to tell which is which.

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                  There are also 2 types of Grendel bolts and chambers. Type I and Type II. Possible he has a Type I bolt in a Type II chamber. I have no idea how to tell which is which.
                  That shouldn't make a difference on how far into the rifling the bullet goes, as the case would stop upon shoulder contact.

Comment

Working...
                  X