Transporting Gear to and from hunt??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As the title says, how do you transport your gear (clothes, boots, accessories) to and from a hunt? I hunt on family land with a cabin so I leave 90% of my stuff at the ranch year round. I take what is dirty home and back via a duffel bag with plenty of pockets, etc for shoes, ammo, pistols, etc. that go every trip. As a result, I have never really thought about long trips or trips where I have to take all of my stuff.

I am going on a bear hunt in May and we are driving to Ontario. The truck will have a camper shell so I'm not too concerned about the drive up other than room. However, once we get "there" we will park and ride on boats in to the lake and cabin with multiple portages, loading, unloading, etc. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to take everything. I'm thinking my options are either duffel bags (various sizes) or rubbermade type storage containers. I will have my bow case(s) so some stuff can be stored with my bow(s). Here is what I'm thinking on each:

Duffel Bags - Advantages: Straps so I can throw over my shoulder and carry them myself, can "shove" places do maximize room, flexible for odd shaped items like boots, I already have plenty so no purchase necessary; Disadvantages: Not protective so breakables aren't protected, not water proof so I could end up at camp with everything wet

Storage Containers - Advantages: Stack-able, rigid so items are protected, should be water "proof" barring submerging it, latches over zippers; Disadvantages: Would have to buy, Has to be carried (more than likely with both hands), may take up more room than what is in them

So from some of you that have traveled to hunt, are there any other options? I guess regular luggage w/ wheels is an option as well. Am I missing anything with advantage/disadvantages that could swing me on way or another? If you do use storage containers, what do you suggest as far as size, staying closed, price, etc. Thanks in advance.

Remington Weathertight 82qt Storage Trunk -Perfect for camping &amp, hunting gear storage with sturdy construction with weathertight seal making it airtight &amp, water resistant

These have an actual gasket and seem to seal well
    Last edited by bboswell; 02-12-2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

What about the waterproof duffel bags?

Comment

Clothes go in a big dry bag, misc gear and sleep system lives in my pack and food and food prep goes in small totes.

You really need WAY less than you think you do, overpacking is easy so the more you can trim down the better off you will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          Clothes go in a big dry bag, misc gear and sleep system lives in my pack and food and food prep goes in small totes.

You really need WAY less than you think you do, overpacking is easy so the more you can trim down the better off you will be.
          This.

Comment

I'm usually guilty of overpacking to make sure all scenarios are covered. I need to be prepared for 40 degrees and raining and 75 degrees and sunny but I know I can't fill up the back of the truck myself.

Comment

In airports (which I frequent with hunting gear), wheeled duffels are a huge help. But on literal road trips, it's really handy to have soft bags that can be "molded" into a range of spaces. That helps not just in the back of a truck or SUV but also on an ATV/UTV rack, dump box, boat, etc. I've had good luck with the Alps Crusader X series, but there are a lot of good products in that category.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...runk/p/1441212

These have an actual gasket and seem to seal well

These are awesome! Pretty much rain proof, I usually fill one of those up to when the wife is with me and we need more gear

Comment

These are awesome! Pretty much rain proof, I usually fill one of those up to when the wife is with me and we need more gear
                  Just ordered one of these. At a minimum I'll use it for my basic hunting clothes and run my ozonics in it prior to leaving. I don't think I will be taking my ozonics with me since I won't be able to charge it. I haven't decided that yet.

Comment

I have 2 very similar to this. I’ve been hauling cooking, hunting, fishing, and working gear in them for 15 years all over the country. Super handy, and very durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Action packer is what I use. Any tote that closes well should work.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I have 2 very similar to this. I’ve been hauling cooking, hunting, fishing, and working gear in them for 15 years all over the country. Super handy, and very durable.

I like the wheels. Do they do ok on rocky terrain?

Comment

Buy an EXO Pack. where a days hunt of clothes/boots to pack in to camp..Take two sets of merino wool, two pair of merino socks/undies, additional set of outer layers, rain gear, gaters..jet boil, dehydrated food, water clarrification packs, gallon zip lock of beef jerkey, kui sleeping down.. Bow strapped to pack and a quiver full and give it hell.. Less is more

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                            I like the wheels. Do they do ok on rocky terrain?

About as well as could be expected from 4 inch hard plastic wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
                              Just ordered one of these. At a minimum I'll use it for my basic hunting clothes and run my ozonics in it prior to leaving. I don't think I will be taking my ozonics with me since I won't be able to charge it. I haven't decided that yet.
                              Be careful running an ozonics if you are using any merino wool, it can break down organic fibers.

Besides, your stank will overpower any benefit that ozone might have after a few days anyway... lol

I store most of my hunting clothes in one of those totes, they are legit!

Comment

Working...
                              X