IVF Medication Cost Rant/Beware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IVF Medication Cost Rant/Beware

My wife and I have been trying to have our first child for some time now. After consulting several doctors, we decided to try IVF. Before starting the IVF cycle we talked to them about cost. They gave us some numbers based on typical medications, procedures, etc.

For those of you unfamiliar with IVF, they do bloodwork to check hormones and other numbers and then have her take medicine to get the right if needed. They then have her take multiple injections everyday for around 12 days which cause her ovaries to grow by about 4x the normal size. Then they give her an injection to trigger her and go in and harvest. After that they take and mix it with the boy stuff and after they’ve grown for up to 5 days they put them back in her. Then you wait to see if successful or not.

I will stop here and say that we are blessed in that my wife’s company health insurance will pay up to $50k for family planning. They’ll only pay for $10k of prescription costs which is included in the $50k. I say only $10k because that’s not even going to cover all of the medication cost for 1 cycle. The reason it won’t cover 1 cycle is because they charge the insurance company $4K for a medication that if we pay out of pocket for is “only” about $900. So they eat up all this cost just because of insurance. Then we have to pay more later because they just blew right through it. And they know we’ll find a way to pay because we’re already committed.

It just makes me so angry that these companies run scams like this. And quite frankly, I don’t know what else we can do, but pay it and play their game.

I know there’s gotta be people out there who weren’t as lucky as us and are still paying the financial toll. And they’d probably do it again for the chance because I know the desperation that they felt to have a child, as I feel it.

We’ll make it through this with God’s hand on us.

Rant over.

Look out for some deals in the classifieds in the coming weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know with some insurance companies, you can pay cash. And then be reimbursed. It may be worth taking a look.

Comment

I feel your pain brother. My wife and I did the same and it's definitely not cheap. However, once that child arrives it's priceless and well worth every cent. It's crazy the amount of shots they have to take on a daily basis.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
        I feel your pain brother. My wife and I did the same and it's definitely not cheap. However, once that child arrives it's priceless and well worth every cent. It's crazy the amount of shots they have to take on a daily basis.

I have no doubt it’ll be worth it. The shots suck. I’m not sure who hates it worse- me giving them or her getting them.

Comment

I feel your pain. We spent 39k out of pocket and still did not have a child.

Comment

Yep you are exactly right that there are more people than not based on my experience that don’t get any financial help from insurance companies for IVF.

Prayers for you and your wife on your journey for a positive outcome.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

And people killing em fast as they can smh....

Comment

Best of luck in your process! Costs are crazy, but the rewards and knowing the efforts you two went through to get there are beyond compare.

We were fortunate that my wife’s insurance covered most of the medications. All the rest was on us out of pocket basically. I think our final tally is 4 aggressive cycles due to age, 4 retrievals and two transfers and 1 strong minded little boy. We tried our best in 2020 to get a sibling but wasn’t in the cards for us to have a family of 4 from our own bodies. Wife wasn’t comfortable with the donor route and we settled where we are today a few months ago. It’s rough as a family and especially for the ladies who try to conceive with IVF after years of trying all the other methods.

Couldn’t have been any happier with our Dr though. Top notch.
                Last edited by bdubb; 01-19-2021, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Be thankful that you have insurance and they are covering anything. We were 100% out of pocket, and the cowboys had better odds of winning the super bowl than us having a child.

Fortunately we were blessed with our son on 5-9-20, in the middle of a pandemic, after 36 hours of labor. After 8 years it was all worth it and we wouldn’t change anything!

Go into it knowing the odds and, stick with your “plan”.

Good luck OP!

Jason Slocum

Comment

Man I really pray it works out for you guys. I know it’s an emotional ride. Is the doctors office charging the insurance for that medication? Or is it a pharmacy? Wondering if the docs buy the medication and then directly bill your insurance.

Comment

My twin boys were well worth every penny, everyday of my life. We went through every procedure possible before IVF. Don’t give up!

Comment

We had almost zero chance of having a baby without IVF. Now we have an awesome 3 y/o boy and a 9mon daughter. We had no insurance coverage unfortunately but it seems like mine was cheaper without the insurance after reading the above. PM me if you want to talk or anything. I’m not a extrovert but too many men live through this stuff with no support. It was a beating. Those shots suck for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          And people killing em fast as they can smh....
                          Insane, isn’t it?

My buddy went thru the adoption process (adopted 3 siblings). That was an absolute racket as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                            Insane, isn’t it?

My buddy went thru the adoption process (adopted 3 siblings). That was an absolute racket as well.
                            Child trafficking is big business and, unfortunately, will only get bigger after today.

Comment

Man I hope ya’ll are successful in having kids. I love mine but why do you think insurance should be covering any of it?

Kids are like a car wreck money-wise and if I ran an insurance company I wouldn’t be encouraging people to have a car wreck.

Comment

Working...
                              X