What caliber to build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    Same story but I’m at 3 built by APR in 280AI with 25” barrel. Me and both boys go to rifles.
    Pretty sure I’m settled on 280ai. What bullet are you shooting?

Comment

What caliber to build

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
      Pretty sure I’m settled on 280ai. What bullet are you shooting?

140 Accubond over Viht N165. That powder is magic in this round [emoji6]

Bryce is still using the LRAB 150g, accuracy is superb but too fragile for me cuz I like a pass through!

If you try the LRAB be warned, they like a LOT of jump!

Comment

338-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

280ai is awesome... Only other off the wall one I'd think would be 25 creed

Comment

The 280AI would be very hard to beat. Ive become a huge 30 cal fan so id be looking hard at the 300 sherman. It's about all the power you can squeeze from an 06 case.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Same here 140 Accubond here too

Comment

If you don’t have a 280ai I would think that would be the ticket. Love my APR 25”.280ai.
                Mine loves the 140gn accubonds.
                I have always wanted to build a 338-06 on a A303 action. 5 round capacity and think it would be way cool.

Comment

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
                  280ai is awesome... Only other off the wall one I'd think would be 25 creed
                  25 creed is on the list too but not for this build.

Comment

I have a 30 06 that I don't shoot much, and have considered building on the action. I lean heavily towards the 280 or the 280 AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Rafter S View Post
                      35 whelen
                      Based on what you already have, I agree with this and would go with the .35 Whelen

Comment

35 Whelen imp.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                          I just acquired a 30-06 savage i plan to build a do all rifle on I have plenty of calibers to choose from already. I want something that I can kill just about anything with and plan on going all out on this build.

I’m currently leaning towards a 280ai 22-24” barrel and shooting 150-168 class projectiles.

I do a small amount of rifle hunting for white tail, hogs and have been going elk hunting the last few years but never know what the future holds. I hand load so ammo is no issue.

What do y’all think? Ps I like wildcats.

I have a stevens 200 in a 300 winmag. Im wanting to use to build a 25-06. We can swap bolt heads if you wanted to go the magnum route.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                            Another one that would be an excellent Texas hunting round, but I might be a little hesitant to take it up north after Moose etc is the 25-06. Spin up a 7.5 twist to push the 131 Blackjacks upwards of 3100, and you’ll have some bad medicine for a lot of animals with less recoil than any of the 7s or 30s.

I built a 25-06 AI and absolutely love it. I am sending the 131's just a touch under 3200 FPS. Its a 7.25 twist on a savage action and it has been stupid accurate after the barrel was broke in.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                              I built a 25-06 AI and absolutely love it. I am sending the 131's just a touch under 3200 FPS. Its a 7.25 twist on a savage action and it has been stupid accurate after the barrel was broke in.
                              That’s definitely a little beast of a rifle. I hadn’t even considered the 25-06 Ackley, and I’m not quite sure why. I’ve got a rifle with a Switchlug and a magnum bolt right now, as well as came across some more SAUM brass recently. I’m seriously considering building a 26” barreled 25 SAUM. That 131 at 3300-3350 would be impressive to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                                That’s definitely a little beast of a rifle. I hadn’t even considered the 25-06 Ackley, and I’m not quite sure why. I’ve got a rifle with a Switchlug and a magnum bolt right now, as well as came across some more SAUM brass recently. I’m seriously considering building a 26” barreled 25 SAUM. That 131 at 3300-3350 would be impressive to say the least.

Check out the new 257 Blackbird also. I know Crossroads Precision our of Victoria has a reamer. It’s a wildcat made by the guys at Black Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X