everything kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

everything kayak

I was didint know so many people loved to kayak, or wanted to get into it, so i figured why don't we have one thread where people can ask questions, give tips, and write ups, or what ever els is related to kayaking.

im doing a write up because it has ben brought up what are the must haves for their kayak, well the only thing that came to mind when i read the thread was a trolly system, man was i wrong. you really just have to go threw the actions and take mental notes to truly know. so hear is a rundown of my fishing day.

all this talk on kayak fishing gave me the bug some kind of fierce. so yesterday i loaded up the yak n hit the old honey hole, and man im i glad i did. but before you hit the water it truly starts the night before. organization is key for me when it comes to kayak fishing, i know there aint much to organize, but thats my point each piece of equipment plays a vital role in catching fish. so the night before load everything up, as much as u can, lay it out n b ready to hit the road in the morning asap. make a check off list trust me i wish i would have i got everything but forgot my anchor DUHHH. thats like forgetting to charge your battery for your trolling motor. well assuming u have everything set up the first thing i recommend is eat a big breakfast, that 3hr fishing trip normally turns into 6 or 7, and take snacks.
    well i got everything loaded and i hit the water take your time unlading nothing worse than breaking a pole before you even touch the water. well i headed up stream and caught a couple small bass, i didint have my anchor, but i did have a push pole which is just a mop handle i got from the store a another must have , n shallow water i just push it down a scupper hole to keep me n place. once i fished to the dam i headed back down stream where it gets deeper as i passed some logs something compelled me to cast over it and im glad i did. as i was retrieving a big old girl came out of the deep n crushed my lure. on rivers i like to use a watermelon red flake creature bate with a weighted offset hook so i can use it as a top water swim bait or i can fish the bottom with it like a jig. any who after a little song n dance with her i get her n the boat, man was i hollering on that little creek. she must have been 7 maybe more along 8lbs biggest fish ive caught n my yak. didint measure her but she was a little above me knee and reaches down past my ankle. write after i let her go i cast to the other side of the bank n i catch another toad this was along the 5lb mark. after that i continue down stream and catch some more small bass. the great thing about kayak fishing is its an ever learning process. somethings i learned is keep sunscreen n your bag, also a large full brim hat n good polarized sun glasses, make a list of what you need to bring, and fish places you normally dont, also take your time your not n a race, no weigh n times just u n nature, its not like u have a SHO 250 on the back. just like bow hunting every fish you land is a trophy, don't matter if its a little rock bass or a 10pounder. i have a feeling i will b get n out a lot more this year, and im really excited, i hope to meet some of you as well on the water sounds like the boys n the dfw area r off to a good start as well. be safe n tight lines
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635441.411856.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	25050968
    my snacks, oh and dont bring chocolate it melts lol

jeeps loaded

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635537.871083.jpg
Size:	303.9 KB
ID:	25050970
    thats y i have a jeep gets me to the places no one els can get to

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635619.428940.jpg
Size:	331.4 KB
ID:	25050971
    to the passer looks like a shallow old stinky water

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635675.894438.jpg
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	25050972
    but it opens up nice

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635744.582972.jpg
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	25050973

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635780.360333.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	25050974
    hear she is Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635823.127769.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	25050975

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635846.397544.jpg
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	25050976Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635882.218071.jpg
Size:	380.4 KB
ID:	25050977
    the other toad

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635916.634827.jpg
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	25050978

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427635977.525448.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	25050979

Fun! Nice story

Comment

Great thread! Congrats on the big bass!!! I need to get me a kayak.....one of these days.

Comment

Congrats on the big bass!!!
        thank you, just like hunting with a bow its exhilarating to take on nature with a primitive tool.

Comment

What river is that?

Comment

Comment

What river is that?
              Leon
              yeah i tried to sign up but it wouldn't take the sec. question, what is the largest lake in texas, lol so i gave up

Comment

Well I'm searching "kayak" to learn what I need in a kayak and thought might as well start on TBH. First thread and nice trip!

Comment

Jaycar85 I thought I knew that spot, Im from Salado.

Comment

Jaycar85 I thought I knew that spot, Im from Salado.
                    lol so you know this spot huh? we should go hit it up some time, I have a couple other places i want to scout fish soon, would you be interested in going?

Well I'm searching "kayak" to learn what I need in a kayak
                    BrianL the way i learned was all trial and error, had no one show me the ropes, you can take as much or as little as you want, i like to keep it to a minimum. anchor, tackle bag with all hooks, and soft plastics, something to drink and eat, and 2 poles. you will have to find out what works for you

Comment

BrianL the way i learned was all trial and error, had no one show me the ropes, you can take as much or as little as you want, i like to keep it to a minimum. anchor, tackle bag with all hooks, and soft plastics, something to drink and eat, and 2 poles. you will have to find out what works for you[/QUOTE]

This. It's very much trial and error. And I still usually wind up with more than I need.

Comment

Cool thread

I'm stopping by BPS on my way home from work on Friday to pick up an Ascend FS 10 kayak

Comment

Are the kayaks at academy any good? If not what are some good brands for a beginner?

Comment

Originally posted by ridge reaper View Post
                            Are the kayaks at academy any good? If not what are some good brands for a beginner?
                            The Perceptions are good. They are molded after the old Wilderness hulls, and Wilderness is a top brand in my book. If your gonna kayak make sure your safe. I believe while kayaking you must have a life vest (PFD) not necessarily on but I always do and a whistle. I always like to keep a knife attached to my pfd just in case I turtle I can cut me loose if I were to be caught up or tangled. If your night fishing you need to have a 360 degree light.

Comment

I have an older 12ft wilderness systems that I need to take out more....I just put on some new rod holders and fixed my dry storage so im ready now.

This pic was on my out to the granger ranger extreme hunt, usually I have a cooler where my bow is sitting.
                              Just now trying to get into jug lines as well, you can see the two I made up in the kayak, that way I can have something working for me while im paddling around
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X