No announcement yet.

2020 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been looking for horseradish starts. Havent been able to find locally and dont typically have any luck with stuff from online. Thoughts?

Comment

My cousins let me plant peppers in their container garden this year. I need to document the progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post

My cousins let me plant peppers in their container garden this year. I need to document the progress.

You and your cousins are a nice looking bunch. Peppers will do well except Bell Pepper per my experience which is limited. I use Gypsy's for a substitute for Bells and they go nuts most years. You and the pups will enjoy (I hope)

Comment

Pretty pups, pretty gardens, me, bored so having a bit of fun. Best to you Legdog.

Comment

We have been at it hard. By we I mean my kids that thought they getting a month spring break

Two varieties of sweet corn. Thought we had bad germination rate till I found the coon prints.....

We have okra, squash, zucchini 4-5 tomatoes, sweet peppers and hot peppers.

Rattle snake pole beans which seem to grow like freaking weeds. Think we might have over planted them.

Pickling cucumbers
            Watermelon .

More importantly we grew some big smiles and good times!

Comment

Tomatoes are already starting to bloom.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
                I understand row planting in typical farming when you irrigate in-between the rows to get water to the roots, but in a veggie garden are rows necessary when you are watering in a different fashion (or maybe you are irrigating in the valleys)?
                I like the rows because i have a bedder and sweeps on tractor. I can do most of hard work including weeding just driving down the row.

I also use the hill to put my drip tape in. Water only the plants i want not the weeds.

Comment

My grandparents were staunch row gardeners and tillers. I did not have the same success that they did when I spent several years doing it. Then I remembered my grandpa out there with his ghostbuster backpack on nuking the gardens with all kinds of supplements and chemicals or using his tractor sprayer. .....then it clicked the difference. They both suffered from many health issues before passing. I will stick to the no till organic methods.

Comment

A couple questions for the pros here. First, is there a halfway decent drip system that Amazon or anyone else offers that is good for a small garden on 15-20 plants? Second, what are y'alls favorite plants for spring/summer that produce good yield and is something that people actually eat for sustenance (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, greens, squash, etc.)

Comment

Originally posted by kck View Post
                      A couple questions for the pros here. First, is there a halfway decent drip system that Amazon or anyone else offers that is good for a small garden on 15-20 plants? Second, what are y'alls favorite plants for spring/summer that produce good yield and is something that people actually eat for sustenance (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, greens, squash, etc.)
                      Hoss Tools has a kit. It will last you many many years with the amount of drip tape you will use. Maybe over kill but proven.

Check out their youtube channel. Lots of good info especially wanting to learn specific plants

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        My grandparents were staunch row gardeners and tillers. I did not have the same success that they did when I spent several years doing it. Then I remembered my grandpa out there with his ghostbuster backpack on nuking the gardens with all kinds of supplements and chemicals or using his tractor sprayer. .....then it clicked the difference. They both suffered from many health issues before passing. I will stick to the no till organic methods.
                        Yes sir. Agree. I might choose to add a bit of miracle grow to re boost later in season for a second round. I build my soils, use compost and fish guts, organic manure every other year, Epsom salt on tomatoes sometimes, Never any chemical insect killer. My soil smells good, worms love it. It does need rest on occasion. My beds are raised slightly with Red Cedar boundaries. Not 100% Organic as almost impossible but close. And 90% of years it produces healthy quantities. Non caged chicken poo is Very good but hot so be careful and hard to get enough. I no longer raise em so oh well. No poo

Comment

Have any of you guys ever seen Leon Sloan on youtube? I met him last year at his huge greenhouse/gardening center in Kingston Ok. He got me into using syrup tubs for my plants. The tubs are made up so they hold a reservoir of water. He also got me into using 55 gallon food grade barrels to grow using the hydroponic method. This man is a wealth of gardening knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSD..._BlLuWSiEr7TJQ

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                            Have any of you guys ever seen Leon Sloan on youtube? I met him last year at his huge greenhouse/gardening center in Kingston Ok. He got me into using syrup tubs for my plants. The tubs are made up so they hold a reservoir of water. He also got me into using 55 gallon food grade barrels to grow using the hydroponic method. This man is a wealth of gardening knowledge. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSD..._BlLuWSiEr7TJQ
                            Watched several of his video's very interesting concept. I am going to try a couple of containers this year off to the side of the house. Honestly the only thing that has kept me from doing container gardening is the appearance. Not the most prettiest thing to have my beautiful backyard full of orange, white , blue five gallon buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                              Watched several of his video's very interesting concept. I am going to try a couple of containers this year off to the side of the house. Honestly the only thing that has kept me from doing container gardening is the appearance. Not the most prettiest thing to have my beautiful backyard full of orange, white , blue five gallon buckets.
                              Yes I understand that they aren't very pretty. I need to get some paint on the drums before my cucumbers get planted in them. Hopefully that will help with the appearance, plus keep the wife happy.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I compost hay along with my kitchen scraps. Add a few yards of turkey litter. You can get a lot of good material from looney litter outside of gonzales. Been using them for years. yes it is hot but that helps get the compost cooking. For the area i am gardening i need a lot of it so cant buy it by the bag or local landscape company.

Comment

Working...
                                X