No announcement yet.

Electrical and water line in Trench question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me clarify for the OP. For safety and legal purposes, there is no reason what so ever, you can’t put them both in same ditch. The MINIMUM COVER the code requires under a residential drive is 18”. Any drive other than residential is 24”. If I was digging the ditch and expected heavy traffic I would go the extra 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
      What else would you put it in?

White pvc pipe for water

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
        White pvc pipe for water

That’s considered conduit...PVC conduit.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          What else would you put it in?

I like to just use cheap garden hoses [emoji38]

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
            I like to just use cheap garden hoses [emoji38]

Comment

Conduit is grey pipe . Are silver metal pipe not white Pvc

Comment

Comment

Definition, Synonyms, Translations of plumbing conduit by The Free Dictionary

Edit. Flash beat me.

Comment

Just for clarification for the electrical I’m going to run 4/0 wire in 2” sch40 gray pvc conduit. For the water planing to run 1-1/4 sch40 white pvc

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                      Just for clarification for the electrical I’m going to run 4/0 wire in 2” sch40 gray pvc conduit. For the water planing to run 1-1/4 sch40 white pvc

You are correct in your sizing on the electrical conduit. Will this be sub-fed from an existing service? If so run a #4 ground wire also. Separate your grounds and neutrals on the new side.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                        You are correct in your sizing on the electrical conduit. Will this be sub-fed from an existing service? If so run a #4 ground wire also. Separate your grounds and neutrals on the new side.

I’m not up on electrical terminology so not sure what a sub feed is. I have an electrician I’m going to bring on to help me on the hookups to make sure all is right. What I have now is right after the meter the service goes to a header box. Going into the box is my generator and coming out is my breaker box. I don’t want the generator running the shop so he’s going to tie into the header and go to a disconnect then out to my shop so I will not be going though the breaker box of the house. Do you think I need to separate the ground if ran like this? What would be the advantages of that? Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

I’m not up on electrical terminology so not sure what a sub feed is. I have an electrician I’m going to bring on to help me on the hookups to make sure all is right. What I have now is right after the meter the service goes to a header box. Going into the box is my generator and coming out is my breaker box. I don’t want the generator running the shop so he’s going to tie into the header and go to a disconnect then out to my shop so I will not be going though the breaker box of the house. Do you think I need to separate the ground if ran like this? What would be the advantages of that? Thanks everyone for your help.
                          Flash will correct me if I'm wrong but what you describe would not be a subpanel, so you can ground your neutral at the new shop panel. Drive a rod near the shop panel and ground your panel there, then tie your neutral and ground bars inside the panel.

If you were feeding your shop panel from a breaker in your existing panel, you would not ground the neutral in the shop subpanel. Neutral would only be grounded at the main.

Comment

For the record...I was in construction for 35 years. Conduit is always referred to as a electrical pipe.
                            Water raceways have always been referred to as just water pipe. Copper or plastic(pex).
                            Schedule 40 is standard wall thickness. Schedule 80 is heavy wall PVC conduit for that extra strength pipe wall. I believe the white water PVC is measured in the same way, sched 40 & 80 for wall thickness.
                            I have only heard people not in the trades refer to a water pipe as a water conduit.

You have truck traffic? Hard coliche? Use the schedule 80 PVC.

Comment

Ok sorry, I passed out last night. Everything after the first point of disconnect is a sub feed. Your first point of disconnect for the shop will be at the main service at your house. This needs to be the ONLY place that your neutrals and grounds are together. Every location after that will need to be separated. You will need a main breaker at the shop also because it is a separate structure. Also a ground rod. In this situation you will need the separate ground wire.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                                For the record...I was in construction for 35 years. Conduit is always referred to as a electrical pipe.
                                Water raceways have always been referred to as just water pipe. Copper or plastic(pex).
                                Schedule 40 is standard wall thickness. Schedule 80 is heavy wall PVC conduit for that extra strength pipe wall. I believe the white water PVC is measured in the same way, sched 40 & 80 for wall thickness.
                                I have only heard people not in the trades refer to a water pipe as a water conduit.

You have truck traffic? Hard coliche? Use the schedule 80 PVC.
                                Lol....conduit is for wires! Water conduit is something I expect to hear at Home Depot!

That's almost as stupid as a hose pipe!

I buried my water and elect 36" deep in the same hole. That trencher dont care!
                                Last edited by Traildust; 05-15-2019, 05:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X