No announcement yet.

Need advice on changing my lease to MLDP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famousunknown, how many acres where you hunting when you received the 10 doe tags?

We have +/-1400. You can go to the management section on the TPWD website and map out your boundaries and they will give you an estimate of how many tags you will get. The number we ended up with was the same as what was estimated.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
      Typically 2/15. PM Top of Texas I’m sure he would give you all of the specifics.
      Sorry looked at my paper work and it is 2/28. I would still PM Top of Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
        What county is the property in?
        Hardin and Polk. 4,000 acres

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          What do you want out of either of the programs?

Well I would like to have a longer doe season. Ours currently is over the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I would personally like to pass on does while the bucks are chasing them in late October and early November. Can't really let them walk now or the doe season will pass by. I also like that I don't have to use a tag off my license, (that's my understanding anyway.). You use the allotted permits instead correct? So the MLD plans allow rifles during October? I'm not a fan of that at all. How much longer are the seasons?
          Season starts in Oct-Feb28th. MLD tags must be used first. Any legal weapon can be used.

Comment

I do like the sound of this!

Honesty I was hoping the Harvest Option would have been the way to go. It sounds like they really limit how many tags you get since there isn't a biologist physically coming out there. Would I be able to start either one of the programs this coming season? I won't have a seasons worth of deer surveys by then.
            Its better to go with the biologist, you will get more tags, Im thinking the Harvest program is a doe only program and I think you would still be bound by the 13" rule, check me on that. You can apply for either program.

Even if you have to start from MLD1, it is worth it. If you have lease members that will put in the work required, improvements should be out of the roof for a lease of that size.

We are archery only lease so its a little more difficult to reach the quota, but we get really close most years.
            Last edited by lovemylegacy; 12-19-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

so lets say your in a one buck county does that change anything ?

Comment

What do you want out of either of the programs?

Well I would like to have a longer doe season. Ours currently is over the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I would personally like to pass on does while the bucks are chasing them in late October and early November. Can't really let them walk now or the doe season will pass by. I also like that I don't have to use a tag off my license, (that's my understanding anyway.). You use the allotted permits instead correct? So the MLD plans allow rifles during October? I'm not a fan of that at all. How much longer are the seasons?
                Why would you pass on does but wanting more permits for them?

Comment

Originally posted by floyd80 View Post

I’m sure he thinks the more doe he has on the property the more bucks may show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by floyd80 View Post

I don't want to shoot my does when the bucks are seeking them out. I'd rather them be decoys. Right now the season ends the Sunday after Thanksgiving. With MLD I can shoot them until the end of February.

Comment

Originally posted by HDWRENCH View Post
                      so lets say your in a one buck county does that change anything ?
                      As in what? You kill as many bucks as tags are allowed. It depends on how the lease manager divides up the tags. We have a first come first serve policy, that keeps someone from hoarding a tag.

Comment

It is a great plan as long as everyone is aware that there is a 100% chance that not alll members will receive a buck tag on a typical east Texas lease. Not everyone can stomach having $2500+ and time wrapped up in something without a buck tag

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                          It is a great plan as long as everyone is aware that there is a 100% chance that not alll members will receive a buck tag on a typical east Texas lease. Not everyone can stomach having $2500+ and time wrapped up in something without a buck tag

It’s for managing deer. If they can’t stomach it then this type of lease/program is not for them.

Comment

So do hunters shoot the deer and then come to camp or a designated location where the permits are kept? Do you pass out some to hunters to use? How does it literally work as far as a hunter shooting the deer and me needing to give him the permit? I assume a hunter can't bring the deer to camp without the permit on it. Same as a regular tag right?

Comment

You bring the deer to camp, you tag it at camp. Tag is signed by hunter and landowner/manager. Dont have to tag in field. Record required information in record book, go on down the road.
                              Weight, lactation, age, antler size, etc

Comment

All our tags are in the shack and easily available as well as the documentation. Bucks go in the deep freezer till scored.

Comment

Working...
                                X