Zipline cable for my 80lb daughter question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zipline cable for my 80lb daughter question

So I picked up some 1/8 cable from Lowe’s and strung it between a couple trees. It ha a load strength of 340 lbs. well above my daughters weight.

It has a lot of stretch so she ends up being a foot off the ground. I’m concerned about pulling it too tight then having her bounce on it.

Will this cable work or do I need to get a bigger cable?

Shop Blue Hawk 1 Ft. 1/8-in Weldless Galvanized Steel Cable (By-the-Foot) in the Chain & Cable (By-the-Foot) department at Lowe's.com. 1/8-in x 1-ft galvanized steel cable.

Comment

we bought a 75' kit for our son for Christmas. It came with cable that i think is close to 3/8. Its rated for up to 200#.

Not sure if this helps, but i think the cable you are using is quite a bit on the small size

Comment

Originally posted by Alderrg View Post
        we bought a 75' kit for our son for Christmas. It came with cable that i think is close to 3/8. Its rated for up to 200#.

Not sure if this helps, but i think the cable you are using is quite a bit on the small size

As far as zip lines go, it is on the small side but all the zip line kits they are rated up to 350 lbs. I just need 80 for now.

But I do agree that according to everything else the cable is in the small side

Comment

Your daughter, why chance it? Get a bigger cable. Don't chance a !!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pride View Post
            As far as zip lines go, it is on the small side but all the zip line kits they are rated up to 350 lbs. I just need 80 for now.

But I do agree that according to everything else the cable is in the small side
            You’re not taking into account any dynamic load from her bouncing as she zips down it. It could easily double the load. Go with a larger diameter.

Comment

You know you are going to get on it one of these days - go bigger lol!

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                You’re not taking into account any dynamic load from her bouncing as she zips down it. It could easily double the load. Go with a larger diameter.
                What he said. Dynamic load is very important. Let's look at some math and load analysis. A basic equation for the amount of force needed to arrest a "fall" is weight times length of fall. So, of your daughter falls 4' before weighted balance is on the wire rope, she will need 320 lbs of force to arrest her fall.

I would go with a much stronger rated cable.

Comment

Get qualified help. You must factor I the line tension and other factors.

Comment

Ours is 3/16”. My 170lb son goes down it. It’s only about 90’, I’m about to build another one that’s 180’ & make a swing for my grand kids to sit in to go down it. When we had our 200’ I used 3/8”, had built my troller for it & I would ride it weighing in at a slim & trim 275lb[emoji57]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't trust my childs life, nor mine on Lowes cable.

Comment

You would be better with steel strand like power companies use for their down guys. It is much stronger per size than the cables you are buying. 1/4" strand is 6600# test. Do you know any line men that you could get some from?

Comment

I would imagine the 340# rating is parallel to the direction of the cable.. your use is using up a vast majority of that weight rating of 340# in order to tension the cable.. Then you're putting another force perpendicular and like other's have said it's going to be dynamic.. I'd get a bigger cable

Comment

Get a bigger cable......

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
                              I would imagine the 340# rating is parallel to the direction of the cable.. your use is using up a vast majority of that weight rating of 340# in order to tension the cable.. Then you're putting another force perpendicular and like other's have said it's going to be dynamic.. I'd get a bigger cable

Yes red trteither I’ll be e

Comment

Working...
                              X