Thoughts on Sharing Tags with Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on Sharing Tags with Kids?

First off, I’m sure that this is considered illegal, or is it?

Hypothetical:
    My two sons (each pre-teen) and I all purchase our own licenses. We need to shoot a good number of does off a place, and my two sons fulfill their tags limits, but I still have tags remaining on my license. I would receive very little excitement shooting the doe myself, but get great enjoyment watching my sons perfect the art of shooting and seeing their faces light up after a nice clean harvest. Is it ethical for me to tag the deer using my license? I see it as me forwarding an opportunity. If licenses are bought in order to control harvest numbers, and harvest numbers are not exceeded, is it wrong?

Thoughts?

Legally, Yes, it is wrong. I get what your saying but the law doesn't see it that way. I saw this play out last year on a place I know about and the warden told the land owner he needed to get on the MLD program if he wants to let anyone shoot more than what is on their license. That was after tickets.

Comment

It's probably "technically wrong/illegal", but (hypothetically speaking) I'd just do it and keep quiet about it. It's literally a no harm - no foul situation IMO, but I'm not the GW.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
        It's probably "technically wrong/illegal", but (hypothetically speaking) I'd just do it and keep quiet about it. It's literally a no harm - no foul situation IMO, but I'm not the GW.
        I agree.
        Don't get caught doing it in Colorado.
        It ain't no fun

Comment

Why wouldn’t you just buy them a hunting license? They are cheap and support conservation? I don’t get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
            Why wouldn’t you just buy them a hunting license? They are cheap and support conservation? I don’t get it.

Go re-read what he posted....
            That's exactly what he did....

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

As I said, we each have purchased licenses. Their tags have been fulfilled.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Go re-read what he posted....
                That's exactly what he did....

My bad lol. I’m driving. For sure illegal. But doubt any game warden is gonna write a ticket for a doe if you were sitting in the blind with your kid.

Comment

Illegal and not smart to be on a forum talking about it

Comment

What is messed up is the amount of big bucks that will be killed by a guide and tagged by client. With MLD as popular as it is now not so much. When i was young and involved more in the hunting industry I know it happened often. Sit next to client for “follow up” shot. Plenty of follow up shots where the only round in flesh and many more follow up shots being the only fatal shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CWKATTNER View Post
                      As I said, we each have purchased licenses. Their tags have been fulfilled.

Sorry was driving and didn’t fully read. It is 100% illegal. Like i said earlier i bet most game wardens wouldn’t write a ticket if you were in the stand with them. That said my number one concern would be what example does that set for your kids respecting game laws knowing that it is illegal? They shot all of their tags. Does that do anything positive for them to let them keep shooting stuff other than give them the idea that some game laws aren’t that important? I personally wouldn’t let my kids do it if they filled all their tags.

Comment

Illegal.

Comment

Gotta love this place! Role models from hail!

Comment

Shoot what you have tags for. “Party hunting” is all too common, especially with bird hunters, and sets a bad example for new hunters. I was taught in hunter’s ed that every hunter needs their own pile/bag of birds, and that putting your tag on someone else’s deer is a major no-no.

Comment

I agree with setting the example of what is right and wrong for the kids. Is it possible to take a new hunter out for their first kill and possibly get them hooked on the outdoor experience?

Comment

Working...
                              X