Deutsch drahthaar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsch drahthaar

Looking for info on a breeder out of Utah. Vom Wasatch. Very new to the breed and just put a deposit down on pup today. Was curious if anyone had pups from this guy. Doing a lot of research on the breed and sounds like an all around jam up dog. Any info on the breed or training info greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not familiar with that breeder. But there is a breeder in S TX, Vom Sendero that used to have a video series on training DD’s.... sadly I’m pretty sure I have lost mine in a spring cleaning.

You will love the breed. My old girl is 13 and still has the heart, she just can’t take the wear and tear. She has pointed pheasant, bobwhite, and blues for me. Picked up countless ducks and geese. Recovered a deer for the wife of a member on here and a few of my deer. Even caught a wild piglet on a hunt once. Fantastic breed. Hope ons day my schedule let’s me get another

Comment

Eric Toribio over in Beaumont is a wealth of information on the breed. Spoke with him a couple of times when I was in the market. We ended up going with a Vizsla but I sure love those DD’s too! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great dogs. I have 2 German registered Pudelpointers. I don't know what your breeder requires but I strongly recommend you run your dog through the vjp and hzp if it passes vjp. Great experience on both fronts and will force you into becoming a good handler and build a really special bond with your dog. There are quite a few VGD groups out there. If youre getting a German registered dog, stick with the German system and avoid navhda.

Comment

Also if you don't feel like having to transport your puppy so far and want something closer, Shelby Kervin in Oklahoma breeds some dang fine DD's.

Comment

Used as Consentration Camp guard dogs in WW2. Love their growl. It stops everything in it's tracks.
            We owned one that hunted everything hard.
            Trust this breed {your dog} If it does not like something or some one. Start backing away..

Comment

Love mine. Wouldn’t trade him for anything.

Comment

Question, what is the difference between the DD and a German Wirehair Pointer???

Comment

They are great dogs. I am on my second one, both females. I can tell you they are hunting machines. Extremely smart with very strong prey drives. I use mine for duck & dove hunting and quail. I have not used her to trail blood. I am just scared she would get gored, snake bit, etc. On the retrieving, if you are a lab guy, just know they will not be like a lab. They will get the job done and rarely miss but it won't look like a lab. My current gal is bang up on the quail, she puts my pointers to shame. They are truly the complete dog. I would suggest testing your pup if you can do it. The training for the tests are what get them to that finished point. My first one I worked on training and sent her off for some late training, she was good. I truly didn't know what I was doing but she was solid just on instinct alone. I had my second one trained by Tammy Casa and she is money. Sadly, Tammy passed away last year. Not sure who I would send a new pup to now.

As far as the breeder, I don't have any experience with Vom Wasatch but I have followed them online and know they have been around for a while and seem to be very professional. I got my first pup from Vom Sendero. Kevin is no longer in the game and I think he just has his pups for personal use. Got my second from Charlie Martinez at Vom Mesquite. Charlie is a great guy and very knowledgeable if you want to have someone to speak to. He is located in Harlingen.

good luck with the new pup!

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                    Question, what is the difference between the DD and a German Wirehair Pointer???
                    Essentially the same breed. The DD is bred under very strict rules from the original german registry whereas the wirehair may be under AKC or other registries.

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                      Essentially the same breed. The DD is bred under very strict rules from the original german registry whereas the wirehair may be under AKC or other registries.
                      Here is some good info. on how the DD breed developed.

Basically the DD has to pass hunt testing and confirmation to be bred and be recognized in the German registry. Whereas under AKC/UKC any papered dog can breed and its offspring be papered. No testing or confirmation needed.

Comment

You'll really love the way they can drip loads of water all over the tile after drinking & then lay their head on your leg.

Comment

I’ll second Eric Toribio, especially if you’re in Santa Fe. He’s bought some of the highest performing studs/dams out of Germany the last few years. I had to delay getting a puppy from him with our 2nd boy coming into the world but Eric was awesome to deal with and is a super guy.

Comment

Appreciate all the info. One thing I’ve been researching a lot is differences between males and females as far as hunting drive and what happens to that drive after they’re fixed. I’ve about made my mind up on a female.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by SM69 View Post
                              Eric Toribio over in Beaumont is a wealth of information on the breed. Spoke with him a couple of times when I was in the market. We ended up going with a Vizsla but I sure love those DD’s too! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              He lives about a half mile from, he has some very high end dogs. Extremely smart breed

Comment

Working...
                              X