Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to my skillet?

Had this old skillet that I decided to clean up

Got it all stripped and decided to put a coat of Crisco on it since I didn't have any flaxseed oil (what I used before) and when I pulled it out of the oven it looked like a splatter pattern in it.

Had it upside down on the oven rack at 350 for 2 hours

Tried scrubbing it out with no luck and put it in the oven at 475 for 3+ hours with no change

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5646.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	25234949

Fry some bacon in it, coat the skillet with the bacon grease and reheat, not quit so hot though.

Comment

You burnt out the old grease that seasoned the skillet over the years.

Comment

only burned grease residue

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
          Fry some bacon in it, coat the skillet with the bacon grease and reheat, not quit so hot though.
          I was kind of thinking the high heat and time might have done it also.

Like all the absorbed oils had burned out. But might be wrong.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            I was kind of thinking the high heat and time might have done it also.

Like all the absorbed oils had burned out. But might be wrong.

J
            I was taught to remove excess carbon from the skillet, build a fire, aka campfire and put the skillet in it. Burns off the excess carbon and keeps the skillet coated.

Comment

Just to clarify, it was crusty and spent 2 hours around 500 degrees on the BGE before I knocked off the old residue

Attempting to reseason is when I got that mess

Comment

You left too much crisco on the surface. Add the crisco and wipe all excess off. Repeat process.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                  You left too much crisco on the surface. Add the crisco and wipe all excess off. Repeat process.
                  Crisco, bacon grease, olive oil, all of these are good. Just keep recoating it.

Comment

Use lard. Heat it up (350° for 30 minutes), wipe it down w/the lard, let it cool, repeat a time or 2 then put a very thin layer on before storing it. I have found that when I wipe it down w/lard while it's hot, it pulls the lard into the pores as it cools. This has worked well for me. Somebody posted a video awhile back of a guy that was an absolute expert on cast iron. Try to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2037 View Post
                      Use lard. Heat it up (350° for 30 minutes), wipe it down w/the lard, let it cool, repeat a time or 2 then put a very thin layer on before storing it. I have found that when I wipe it down w/lard while it's hot, it pulls the lard into the pores as it cools. This has worked well for me. Somebody posted a video awhile back of a guy that was an absolute expert on cast iron. Try to find it.

That would be Kent Rollins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
                        I will take your word for it but I got a little bit on a paper towel and wiped it on as thin as I thought possible
                        I will try another coat and see what happens

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          I will take your word for it but I got a little bit on a paper towel and wiped it on as thin as I thought possible
                          I will try another coat and see what happens
                          Mine did that and could never get an even layer of seasoning, always had those discolorations on it. Finally just sanded it down to remove it and start over.

I used Crisbee Stick to re-season it.

Comment

You went too heavy on the oil

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post

this! Just go use the dang thing its fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X