Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Matty Help

Howdy!

Me and some buddies are headed to Sargent for the weekend and wanted to try our luck in East Matagorda. We have never been to either place.

I wanted to see if y'all had any advice. Any and all info it welcome.

Literally from where to launch, route to take, where to fish, baits to use, anything would help!

We will want to stay out of the super shallow stuff, but would like to wade or drift. Our boats can run in about 3 feet.

Thanks and have a good weekend GS!

East Matty is a very shallow bay. Im talking like 5-6ft at the deepest. you need to be able to run skinny to fish the areas I prefer.

Stick to drifting the middle of the bay, that will be your best bet.

That north wind very well may have a lot of the water pushed out come Saturday and Sunday, so good luck.

Comment

Doh!

Thanks man!

Comment

I'm headed there this weekend myself. You can launch at the public ramp on the island. Turn right after you cross the swing bridge. The easiest way into east matty from Sargent is the tripod cut. You'll see the tripod of in the distance. We use live shrimp or vudu shrimp under a popping cork.

Comment

The Tripod cut is a good way to enter, but the east end of the bay is also the shallowest. Not trying to scare you off, just fair warning. Be careful, nothing sucks worse than getting a boat stuck.

Comment

Sent you a PM

Comment

I fished east last weekend with a buddy. We waded mostly and caught most of our fish on corkies. Birds were also working and we caught trout and reds under the birds. We had 3 man limits of trout and reds. Limited out on trout at the first stop. Most were 18" and biggest was around 23-24 but we let the bigger ones go.

Comment

Lots and lots of shell reefs in East Bay, be careful where you drive! The East end is Extremely shallow, I would drift the reefs on the west end.

Launch across the swing bridge, take a right at the T and the road ends at a boat launch. There are bait stands there along the intracoastal if that's what you want to throw. My wife and I drifted it last October with Vudu Shrimp and slammed the trout. Good luck!

Comment

Slammed them last week, I would fish north shoreline and drift over shell in the middle of the bay if not to windy.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Awesome, thanks y'all!

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Slammed them last week, I would fish north shoreline and drift over shell in the middle of the bay if not to windy.
                      Holy motherload!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginja Ninja View Post
                        Holy motherload!
                        Live shrimp on popping cork, if the trout and reds ain’t biting the Tr’s will be

Comment

cut mullet works good for reds this time of the year ,we went twice last week in west matagorda bay limit of reds both times

Comment

Smells fishy around here

Comment

Do like everyone else does this time of year. Load up and go run laps around the bay. When you see one bird kinda circle, look sideways, scratch his butt or whatever you gotta nail it to the wall and get there quick. Run right on in there, shut down and make 2-3 casts. Then jump back up on plane and repeat. You'll probably need about 75 gallons of fuel for a day of fishing. And if some birds do start working just pull right on in. The guys in the boat that got there first won't mind. If you can't get in from upwind just idle right into them from downwind. Or pull on in between the other boat and the birds with your trolling motor. I mean, they don't own the water, right? But whatever you do never look at the guys in the other boat or make eye contact with them. You have to just act like they aren't there. Make 2-3 casts and then blast off out of there and make another lap around the bay. Then when you get back in tell everyone you would have killed 'em if the idiots hadn't been so thick. Now you know how fall fishing in East Matagorda Bay works.

Comment

Working...
                              X