Hill country deer movement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill country deer movement

Anyone else in the hills country(particularly blanco, hays, and Kerr county) having bad luck? Corn is piling under the feeders, deer blocks have hardly been touched. I know the acorns are on the ground, and the rut is gettin close to peak, but I can't remember it being this bad ever before.

I watched and passed up a young 10 point hoovering corn for an hour Thursday morning in Burnet County. I also watched four does grazing on post-rain greenery until 9 am before making a short visit to the same feeder and heading off to bed down. I think so many hunters are feeding now, together with new growth from recent rains, any particular feeder is less attractive. Also, over-hunting a spot can dry it up. Antler growth appears to be above average due to spring rains. What do your trail cams show?

Comment

Same here. I hunt In hays county and this is the worst year I have ever hunted out there. Corn is piling under the feeders and the Bucks have pretty much disappeared. All my trail cam pics are of raccoons late at night.

Comment

Month before deer season, 150 pics of 5 different does and 7 different bucks/week.

Now, 7 pics of 1 yearling/week

Comment

Why go to a feeder and get shot at when there is plenty of natural forage for them to eat? All this rain is good for the deer, but hard on us hunters.

Comment

I have seen tons of deer in Hays and Travis this year.
            I haven't been sitting at feeders though.

Comment

They deer are moving in the hill country, but just aren't coming into the feeders

Comment

Get off that feeder!!!!

Comment

Extremely slow in real county. Corn piling up. Small bucks messing with doe. No scrapes or rubs

Comment

Originally posted by Luremaker View Post
                    They deer are moving in the hill country, but just aren't coming into the feeders
                    So where have y'all been seeing them.

Our place is very thick and we have water in all the creeks not to mention a million trails.

I spent 8 hours hiking around this week and hardly saw a track anywhere.

Open fields with or without feeders are vacant.

Comment

bucks still hanging with each other, does grouped up 15-20 rubs within 100 yards of feeders, mostly night time pics, mineral blocks and chaffeyye seem to be working best. Real county 337 west

Comment

I'm in Kimble, north of Harper. Saw deer as we were driving around during the day, but activity near the feeders was slow the last two weekends. Whole place looks like a food plot starting. The bucks we were seeing on cams 2 weeks ago have disappeared. The hog and raccoon crop numbers are as high as we've seen out there. Maybe it'll get better after a freeze.

Comment

I put up 6 new trail cams on traditional game trails to try and find some life. Really hoping rutt kicks in this coming weekend.
                          Our place is all canyons and steep ridges so getting into their bedding areas and sanctuaries is nearly impossible. All of the fairly open areas are food plots but nothing hitting those days or night. We need a hard freeze in a bad way

Comment

Getting a descent amount of activity at night under the feeder in Uvalde co.

Comment

Hunt in Kimble county and this is by far the best year for our part of the hill country.

Comment

Working...
                              X