Taking hogs - exit wounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking hogs - exit wounds

This was a very interesting article and while I disagreed with his minimum bullet size suggestion, he makes some very valid points. And FishNDude - there's even pictures of the "shield"!

Hunt 365 Taking Hogs - Exit Wounds

My preferred shot (no matter what weapon I have in my hands; bow, handgun, shotgun, or rifle) is through the chest cavity taking out lungs, heart, possibly severing the spine, breaking a leg or two, and leaving TWO holes, one in and one out. Invariably the exit hole will be larger and that is where most of the blood will exit the body. The smaller entrance hole will leak some but not nearly as much as an exit hole will.

Never been a concern with me, their still going to die of lead poison.

Comment

Something I have been noticing here lately.. a kidney shot will kill them fast.

Arrow or bullet through the kidneys and they will fall within 20 yards.

Collateral damage is your tenderloins.

Comment

IMO, most of the pictures/diagrams of a hog's vitals out there are misleading. I like the side-view of the organs and bones in this article. It shows how low the vitals really are. "Half way up behind the shoulder" on a hog gets you real close to the guts... Low and through the shoulder muscle is the way to shoot a broadside pig; making a leg-forward or slightly quartered-away angle ideal for a bow shot.
        Last edited by 30-30; 07-07-2020, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Don't worry about it as I gut shoot them.

Comment

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
            IMO, most of the pictures/diagrams of a hog's vitals out there are misleading. I like the side-view of the organs and bones in this article. It shows how low the vitals really are. "Half way up behind the shoulder" on a hog gets you real close to the guts... Low and through the shoulder muscle is the way to shoot a broadside pig; making a leg-forward or slightly quartered-away angle ideal for a bow shot.
            Exactly. I like the photo of the different positions too.

We mostly trap them and make head shots from there.

Comment

His segment about a well placed shot with a 77gr 22 cal from an AR makes no sense.... if you can’t put a .223 in the ear hole at 50 yds, you don’t need to be in the woods.

If he would just shoot at his red circles there’s not much need for an exit hole, regardless of caliber

Comment

Ranch fairy has some great videos on hog vitals and arrow shot placement. To sum them up, your best bet is low, pretty far forward and slight quarter away. But go give them a watch. With a rifle, shot placement is easy- right behind the ear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have been head shooting them with the airgun with no problem on 95% of them. The bigger pigs is about 50/50 on if it exits.

Comment

Tucked low right behind the shoulder with an arrow....neck shot with a gun. It’s not rocket surgery, folks.

Comment

Couldn't get the video to download, so don't know what is showing.
                      All the hog hunters we take out, we tell them in the ear hole. If they shoot behind the shoulder, most of the time, there is not a pass thru and recovery is 50/50. And if we track more than 50 yards, then we stop and chalk it up as a no find. Because by then, we are crawling on our hands and knees thru thick brush and briars.
                      Shoot for the ear hole. If it runs off, you missed. If you hit, it dead right there!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                        Don't worry about it as I gut shoot them.
                        hahaha... I knew this was gonna happen...

Comment

Working...
                        X