No announcement yet.

Anyone ski new mexico?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski Apache was fun with the kids....cheap...but that drive up and down the mountain 12 miles each way was brutal.....

Comment

Yep, every year. Red River is our go to.

Rwc

Comment

If you are flexible on the time, go later in feb or early March, snow is better less chance of bitter cold. Even better, drive a bit farther to purgatory, wolf creek or my preference, Monarch. Considerably better snow, and NM type rates.

My wife and I did a 4 day in red river a few years ago and it was $3,000. Plan and book now and you will get a much better deal on lift tix, rentals, lessons and lodging.

Comment

We did Ski Santa Fe back in February and with all the Groupons I bought spent like $1500.

Four meals throughout Santa Fe we used Groupon.

Hotel with hot breakfast was Groupon

Rental Car was through Turo

Flights southwest SA to Albuquerque

Bought two day ski passes the included ski rentals

I’m a bargain vacationer

4 days / 3 nights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
            We did Ski Santa Fe back in February and with all the Groupons I bought spent like $1500.

Four meals throughout Santa Fe we used Groupon.

Hotel with hot breakfast was Groupon

Rental Car was through Turo

Flights southwest SA to Albuquerque

Bought two day ski passes the included ski rentals

I’m a bargain vacationer

4 days / 3 nights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I like your style.

My favorite hot tip was when you flew to Idaho, but drove a rented moving truck back!

Comment

Another option for you if you wanted to find a cheap flight to Denver, then rent a vehicle (I suggest Turo as well; you can get an AWD).

Loveland ski area. It's in the middle of Georgetown and Dillon along I-70; each of those towns has plenty of Airbnb or vrbos that could meet your liking/expectation. If I did it again, I'd probably stay in Dillon and then have closer access to check out other towns/areas like Breck, Frisco, or Keystone. Georgetown was a cool town though.

Loveland ski area usually has a pre Thanksgiving sale where you can buy 4 packs of lift tickets. Each ticket ends up being approx $40. Each ticket is separate which means you have flexibility on when to use (i.e. if you buy one 4 pack, you and the wife can each ski for any 2 days).

Comment

Ski Sipapu North of Santa Fe is a good place to go.

Comment

We went to Ski Santa Fe this past Spring Break and had fun, weather was good and had fresh snow. Smaller mountain than most Colorado resorts but enough variety for a few days. Depending on your daughter's age, we had a good experience with Chipmunk Corner for our 5 and 7 year old. If she is much older I recommend a standard lesson, my 10 year old son didn't appreciate being lumped in with smaller kids.

Comment

if you care about snow quality, drive to s.colorado, wolf creek is our fav.

Comment

We went to Ruidosa this year and had a blast.

Comment

In February we (family of 7) flew into Albuquerque (SWA), picked up a rental car and spent the night in Albuquerque. Drove to Taos the next morning and we had 6 new skiers so they attended ski school. We stayed right next to the ski lifts so we were able to walk from the condo to the slopes.We skied for 3 days, then drove back to Albuquerque where we spend one night in a hotel before flying back the next morning.

While we were there we had a great time and there was fresh snow. My wife and kids really enjoyed the skiing and how close we were to the slopes. I have skiied most of the resorts in Colorado, and I felt like Taos was a great value.

The green slopes were great for the kids and the they were all skiing blues by the third day.

We spent almost $10K. However almost 1/2 of that was Plane tickets, Large SUV rental car, and ski school. I hope this helps and feel free to shoot me a PM if I can provide additional info.

Comment

All are great suggestions. I/we have been going to Red River for a long, long time. It will run about 3-5K depending on where you stay and eat. Lifts West is a great place (especially, if you can get inside the main house). Snow is usually better after Christmas and beyond (most of the time). They have a shuttle that runs at 8AM. The instructors are good and lift lines were quick. Get gas in Texline and top off at the service center on 25, if you go to RR. Taos is a fun diversion. The trip up and down the mountain at Ski Apache wore me out. If you decide to go to CO, check out Monarch and Purgatory. We have enjoyed Monarch after Christmas. RR is a great family town.

Comment

I use NM to get in my yearly boarding fix when I don’t have the vacation time to spend in other states.

Positives:
                            -probably about as cheap cost wise as you can get compared to anywhere else
                            -close to Tx
                            -in the mountains riding the slopes
                            -usually less crowded

Negatives:
                            -most resorts or areas are small and can be done in a weekend before you’re burnt out of the same stuff
                            -snow isn’t the greatest
                            -can be very icy
                            -only recommend going after Jan 1 because of usual low snow totals early in the season

Comment

We prefer Angel Fire, NM. Have been several times, is definitely cheaper during non-peak periods(their web site shows those periods). I believe our cheapest route was to stay in the lodge there, which included skis, boots, poles and lift tickets. 4 of us skied 3-4 days for under $2000. We prefer mid-late Jan., they will usually have more snow by then. Is hit or miss there in Dec., can be much snow or hardly any, despite snow-making.
                              Sipapu is too small and steep for beginners, if that's the case. Been there a few times and the staff isn't very good.

Comment

I bet you could get away for $2-3k easily all said and done. The biggest factor is going to be your lodging and if you need lessons or not. Cabin Rentals around most NM mountains are really cheap especially if you don't mind driving a few miles to the mountain.
                                Last edited by johnpaul; 06-25-2020, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X