Unemployment - what would it take?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unemployment - what would it take?

How much would it take you to go file for unemployment? I cant do it...but seems like everyone i know ran there without a second thought. Most who are not even close to hurting.
    Also..if you do file and recieve is that permanently on your record in any way?

Unemployment is a insurance that companies pay for their employees to give them a cushion between jobs. I always thought it was basically welfare but that’s not the case. That being said, I’m a small business owner that pays unemployment insurance for over 10yrs and have never drawn a dime. I wouldn’t see any shame in it, especially in times like these.

Comment

If I got laid off I’d file for it.

Comment

I, unfortunately, have had to let go of 70% of my guys this week. I encouraged all of them to start filing today for their unemployment so there isn't a gap in pay. under normal circumstances I leave that up to them. but the job market right now is 0.

Comment

It's welfare....

It was created for times like we're in now (although not really since it's all BS).

I don't think it goes against you. It's a complete load of horse manure that's still wet. People abuse it WAY to much and it's designed to be abused.

If I lost my job and got the extra money people are getting now I'd probably go get it. But if you're honest it's a complete pain in the *****... Only dishonest folks stay on long.

Comment

I am 45 and have had a job every single day since I was 15 years old. Never been laid off or fired. Never thought I would but watching all this situation, I guess if I were to get laid off, I would file and immediately be looking for another job. After all I've been paying for unemployment in some form or another for 30 years.

Comment

It’s there for a reason, it’s not Welfare. I’ve been laid off and used it. No shame filing for unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Trapper76 View Post
                Unemployment is a insurance that companies pay for their employees to give them a cushion between jobs. I always thought it was basically welfare but that’s not the case. That being said, I’m a small business owner that pays unemployment insurance for over 10yrs and have never drawn a dime. I wouldn’t see any shame in it, especially in times like these.
                This.

It's not a handout, it's paid for by us/employers at least to an extent. I've been laid off and immediately filed for UE, and I've been laid off and had a job lined up with a 1 month gap and skipped it. So I'm a little in between I suppose.

Comment

Who created this situation...no fault of those getting the axe. I see it as a blessing from a country that has given trillions to other countries with nothing in return just because we felt they had a need.
                  Will it be abused by some...of course. Is it a God send for others, absolutely. The American worker has been paying way more than their fair share for a long time. I am not anti-gov't just anti-where does it ever end.

Comment

What would it take for me? Getting let go from my job would do it. I'd be looking for work while I was drawing it. I'm not to proud to take that money.

Comment

I've been working for the last 38 years and have never filed for unemployment. If I lost my job (especially due to this Chinese cooties BS) I would have zero problem what so ever filing for unemployment.

Comment

I got laid off right before Christmas in 2009 and filed then. I am sure it gets abused but I’ve always worked, my employer paid into it so I did not feel bad at all. I don’t think you should either if it would help you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Luckily we are busy as crap right now and still working ot on top of all this. Four years ago I was laid off from ge oil and gas when the market tanked and all the offshore rigs were getting docked. It was a struggle. There was 200 plus applicants for every welding job there was that was paying anything decent. I did draw unemployment because something was better than nothing and I had a family at home and bills to pay. Luckily my wife was employed still and that helped out tremendously. I was mowing grass for a landscaping company on the side also to help. When times get hard you will do what you have to do to provide for your family. Luckily 4 months later I found a better job and make more than I was at ge after 10 years of being with them. When you go from $2500 every 2 weeks to $400 a week you will do what you have to do. Why would anyone be ashamed to draw a benefit you pay for along with your employer. You should be ashamed for being to proud to file for unemployment.

Comment

Couldn't agree more, Hogslayer. I've been laid off several times in my career, and subsequently filedfor unemployment benefits. Employers pay into it for a reason. I'd rather work, but if I can't due to reasons beyond my control, I owe to mysekf and my wife, to do what I can in the meantime.

Comment

What record do you think that it would be on exactly? and how do you think it would potentially be used against you?

Comment

Working...
                              X