Memories Are The Greatest Trophies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories Are The Greatest Trophies

This past weekend I got a call from my parents that they had something of my grandpa’s that I might want to have. I’ve been asking my parents for a few years about being able to have some of my grandpa’s elk and mule deer antlers hanging on the wall at my grandparents. My grandpa really loved two things in life more than most, behind his love for his family. He loved the fall for October to be in the mountains hunting elk and mule deer every year. Second, was the spring to be hunting spring turkey.

Grandpa passed back in ‘03 and my grandmother passed this past March. My parents and aunts and uncles have been going through things like everyone does when loved ones pass. Well I was able to get several heads and couldn’t have been more happy and excited. To say just holding them in my hands brought back tons of emotions and memories I shared with my grandpa growing up from hunting and fishing to working in his wood shop learning valuable lessons that I still use today. Each time I’ve seen those heads a new memory comes to mind and reminds me of how lucky I was get to spend so much time with the greatest man I’ll ever know that I hope to one day resemble.

The smaller elk was one killed in the early 90’s. That year he killed a 4x4 muley as well to go with it, but that head hangs on the wall at our ranch. The muley in the pic was killed in ‘00. The 6x6 was his last, also his biggest, killed in ‘01. My uncle has his last muley he killed, and biggest, a whopper ~185” 5x6. He saved his best for his last. He passed the following year peacefully while up in the mountains hunting, a way that I think we all wish it could go. To this day every time I step foot in the mountains, or hear those gobblers in the spring, all I can do is smile and think about my grandfather is watching over smiling that I’m keeping his love for the outdoors alive. I’ll be hanging these in my house and they’ll be passed down to my future kids one day for them to hang in their house.

A pic of my grandfather, uncle, and dad with the muley I have the head to. Classic red and black flannel shirt and blue jeans under that camo jacket. His sporterized 1903 Springfield he bought after he came home from WWII. Didn’t need any of the fancy gear we have today to get the job done year after year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful stuff.

Comment

awesome

Comment

Very cool. Glad you have the memories and now a few of the trophies.

Comment

That my friend is what its all about. Thanks for sharing with us.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Grand parents taught a lot of us more than we can ever pass down. My grandfather was like that, part indian. He left me over 30 years ago, but I will always remember the lessons and time we spent on the Wisconsin River outside of the Dells.

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

You got it bud! I've always said: "It's not the size of the critter you kill. The true trophy is in the memories made in acquiring it."

That used to be in my signature back when we had signatures.

Be careful,
                  And shoot straight,
                  MikeB.

Comment

Man that is awesome.

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Man that’s awesome, sure made me do a lot of reflecting!

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

That’s awesome

Comment

Greatness...cherish those memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X