Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Corn Diameter question (dumb question) but none the less a question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corn Diameter question (dumb question) but none the less a question.

Okay y'all, I have made what I am calling a hawg pinata. The thought is to fill this thing up 3\4 of the way with corn, stake it to the ground with 2 foot of rebar and they will hit this knocking out as little corn as possible. The idea is to keep them there while I sight in on them. With all this being said, what size hole should I drill to make it just enough?

I bought some popcorn seeds to test with but they look smaller than regular corn kernels.

I can start small and drill up but I figured this maybe an interesting thread.

Thank you all for any suggestions.
    Attached Files

I forget what I drilled, but only dril 4-5 small holes.

Comment

I would of just bought deer corn instead of popcorn

Comment

5/8-1/2 about 6 to 8 inches apart would work, did you put a false bottom in it?

Comment

I measured a large kernel of corn and was 1/2" long x 1/4" wide

Comment

make sure you have a bad *** swivel on that thing....

Comment

Originally posted by Texas276 View Post
              make sure you have a bad *** swivel on that thing....
              .......or you will find it far away.........if you find it !

Comment

2-3 holes is enough. Make them work for it. If you don't, they will drain it very fast. As previously stated great swivel is a key. Stake it down good. The hogs bent a tpost over to get mine one time. Rolled it about 300 yards after it was free. Don't underestimate their strength and determination.

Comment

I found 7/16" to be the best diameter. They can get the corn out but much at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Storm View Post
                    5/8-1/2 about 6 to 8 inches apart would work, did you put a false bottom in it?
                    No false bottom but one end unscrews.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
                      I found 7/16" to be the best diameter. They can get the corn out but much at a time.
                      Good idea, I was thinking of angling the holes as well.

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
                        2-3 holes is enough. Make them work for it. If you don't, they will drain it very fast. As previously stated great swivel is a key. Stake it down good. The hogs bent a tpost over to get mine one time. Rolled it about 300 yards after it was free. Don't underestimate their strength and determination.
                        I totally agree, I was even thinking of cementing the rebar but if the chain gets busted than the rebar stake would be worthless.

Comment

They are called hog pipes... been around for quite some time. Google it and you will see all sorts of instructions and stuff you can copy. 5/8" seems to be common.
                          Last edited by SwampRabbit; 10-13-2016, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Try a mobile home anchor, the ones you screw in that have a loop on top. We use them to anchor our blinds. They are available at most hardware stores.

Comment

Originally posted by Marsh Bandit View Post
                              I would of just bought deer corn instead of popcorn
                              I agree with you.

Comment

Working...
                              X