Tractor Guys Critique my Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tractor Guys Critique my Idea

So, I only have a couple acres but I have a several projects this spring where I need a tractor. Clear some brush, cut a couple trees, level some areas, create some drainage etc. Instead of renting a machine and rushing, I'm thinking of buying a JD or Kubota, using it for a year or so, and reselling. Can I expect to get my money back? Figure a $10k, approx. 30HP tractor with a loader. Not sure how the used market changes- I know toys like motorcycles seem to really fluctuate with oil and other economy changes.

For the most part yes, BUT everyone I've seen that had this plan, ending up keeping the thing because they find so many things they can do or will need it for in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
      For the most part yes, BUT everyone I've seen that had this plan, ending up keeping the thing because they find so many things they can do or will need it for in the future.
      This ^^^

Comment

If you buy new expect to lose 30%.

If I was going to do what you have planned I would buy old/used (like you mentioned). Better built, easier to maintain and probably be able to sell for what you buy it for if not close.

Massey Ferguson, JD or Kubota

Comment

For what you describe you need to get a skid steer

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
            Very true! Be expensive but hold value.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
              Don't disagree, just don't have the budget. I haven't seen one less that $25-30k. If I rent it will be a skidsteer most likely.

I know I may end up keeping it. That doesn't scare me too much either.

Comment

At this point all you will be is stuck!!! Calculate in recovery cost.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                  So, I only have a couple acres but I have a several projects this spring where I need a tractor. Clear some brush, cut a couple trees, level some areas, create some drainage etc. Instead of renting a machine and rushing, I'm thinking of buying a JD or Kubota, using it for a year or so, and reselling. Can I expect to get my money back? Figure a $10k, approx. 30HP tractor with a loader. Not sure how the used market changes- I know toys like motorcycles seem to really fluctuate with oil and other economy changes.

Go bigger, spend more. You’ll thank me later.

Comment

Hope this isn't hijacking your thread but I've been considering the same thing. We have an area that is badly overgrown and I've wanted a skid steer with a mulcher BUT I don't necessarily want to have to rush to finish the job. Any ideas how long it would take to clear out a couple of shooting lanes and a large feeder pen?

Comment

Buy one used for a good deal, and you should have no problem at all getting your money back. If you want a small tractor, I would get a Kubotta (I got both) and can tell you I prefer the small Kubbotas. You're not going to want to sell it though.

Comment

Originally posted by brandona View Post
                        for what you describe you need to get a skid steer
                        agreed

Comment

Find someone in the area that does this kind of work and pay him to do it. Will be a little more than renting but a whole lot less than buying. For just a couple of acres that is what I would do. Once the work is done let time tell you if you really need one. I own just over 3-1/2 aces and used to rent to keep the pasture shredded but now own a 28 hp Kubota with lots of implements but mainly because I have four deer leases to try to maintain.

Comment

Working...
                          X