Capping off a great weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capping off a great weekend

Not to be out done by the wife, I headed out with my bow this morning in search of blood. I headed to my little honey hole; 45 acres that produced my largest buck last year. It was extremly still as I climbed in my tripod and got set up. Just as it was getting light, I heard the sound of something walking. Based off my latest round of pics, I had a good feeling what it was. Sure enough, a big boar walked within 20 yards of the feeder, and proceeded to lay down and wait for the feeder to spin. About 15 minutes later, corn was slung about and the boar rose and came right in. I drew and made what looked to be a great shot, but like the last pig I drew on I got little penetration. Oh well.

The morning progressed with no other sightings. Hunting Bastrop (or at least my areas) don't usually produce the numbers I'm use to. Finally around 8 am, I picked up the sound of hoofs on gravel. I catch movement to the left of the feeder, and more importantly, horns. I clip my release on to be safe. The buck steps out, and my honest first reaction was not of excitement. After I got better looks of him as he feed, I suddenly realized I was looking at Swoop, a buck I have followed for 3 years now. This was actually my target buck this year, but he didn't blow up quite like I had hoped. This was the first time I seen him all year.

The mind games then began. Do I shoot this deer even though he's not the biggest I have on camera at other locations. The season is still young. Krystal needs my help with the little ones. The buck is mature. After the back and forths, I finally decide to take him. At my first broadside opportunity, I drew back and settled behind the peep. The buck begins to turn, leaving me hopelessly at full draw with no shot. It was dead quite, so I just knew if I had to let down the buck would blow out. I reached that point, and with the buck facing me, I began inching the bow down. By some miracle, I got let down without the buck even picking his head up. I ended up passing on a few other opportunities to draw to give my muscles plenty of time to settle down. About 15 minutes later, he got into position again and I drew. He takes a step forward with the opposite shoulder, and I'm once again left on an island. Just as I thought I was going to have to let down again, he pulls that leg forward and I have a shot. I check my anchor points, place the pin, and touch the release. A loud crack drops the buck straight down. The buck begins crawling off, so I load another arrow and quickly send it. Shamelessly, I have to exit the tripod and stick a third in him to finish the deal.

This hunt was almost like dejavoo, as the big 12 from last year came in on the same trail, at the same time of day, hit the same way, and took the same amount of arrows to kill. He ended up having 12 scorable points, and 17.5" inside. I'm plenty proud of another bow kill in my home county. He was a big bodied, mature buck. I can't help but wonder if I'll now see my big 11.

To top off a great weekend, I got my Aoudad back from Palo Duro draw hunt last year!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Mighty fine buck, man. Congratulations to you!

Comment

What he said !^^^^^^^^

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Congrats bud! Did I miss the thread about the aoudad?

Comment

Congrats on a great Buck.
            Last edited by T-roy66; 11-10-2019, 05:00 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
              Congrats bud! Did I miss the thread about the aoudad?
              Thanks bud!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Nice buck. Congrats!!!

Looks like y’all had a pretty good weekend.

Comment

Nice Going!

Comment

Very nice! Congrats

Comment

Nice buck, congrats.

Comment

Very nice buck, congratulations!

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Thanks everyone!