Who keeps a “ dirty/ seasoned “ bbq pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No-Tox View Post
    Lots of places clean their pits to make sure they don't have a grease fire and burn their place down, not to make their food taste better.
    I knew of a place that did just that. Big quantity of grease in the bottom caught fire and burned the place down.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
      IMO, anything BBQ-related written by Texas Monthly is suspect. Liberal Mag full of BS.

Like previously mentioned, they have to clean the pits for liability reasons.
      Yup... as soon as I see Texas Monthly "BBQ Blah blah," I immediately disregard/ignore. We were at a bbq event for my GF's office a couple weeks ago and a few were discussing the list of Top BBQ places. I walked up as she explained to the small group, "There's no Snow's. There's no Franklin. Have you noticed that not a single place on the list is over a few years old?"

Lol sure she was just regurgitating my bbq-snobbish ramblings but still... "That's my girl!"

In regards to cleaning, I just do a bit of scraping of built up grease where I can reach it. Learned that lesson the hard way. Came back from a dove hunt to realize that the entire wood pile burnt up... along with the chicken. If the sprinkler hadn't been on near the house, It could've gotten ugly.

Comment

Seasoned but not stupid dirttand greasy.

Gary

Comment

We noticed our bbq was not as good as it once was, and decided to clean our pit. Took a cactus burner to the inside and scraped it down afterwards. Meat output came back strong so now we do it every 15-20 cooks or so.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
            I scrape mine out every few cooks but I wouldn’t call it clean. Mainly just getting excess grease out.
            Same. Mine has a drain plug on the end I take out while cooking and tilt the pit which helps as well

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              Did you read the article? As it seems like some of the places that I really like seem to keep the creosote/ greasy mess cleaned out regular
              Yes I did.

Guess I will clean mine. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                Yup... as soon as I see Texas Monthly "BBQ Blah blah," I immediately disregard/ignore. We were at a bbq event for my GF's office a couple weeks ago and a few were discussing the list of Top BBQ places. I walked up as she explained to the small group, "There's no Snow's. There's no Franklin. Have you noticed that not a single place on the list is over a few years old?"

Lol sure she was just regurgitating my bbq-snobbish ramblings but still... "That's my girl!"

In regards to cleaning, I just do a bit of scraping of built up grease where I can reach it. Learned that lesson the hard way. Came back from a dove hunt to realize that the entire wood pile burnt up... along with the chicken. If the sprinkler hadn't been on near the house, It could've gotten ugly.
                I am betting they were discussing the article they had recently about NEW bbq joints.

Comment

I caught that sob on fire one time, and I promise you that is not how you want to clean it!

Comment

I caught my gas grill on fire one time. I swear that was the best grilled chicken that ever came off that thing. LOL.

Comment

Mine has been seasoned over fifty years. As soon as I light it you would swear there's a smoked brisket in it almost done.

Comment

Mine gets scraped and cleaned once a year.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I caught that sob on fire one time, and I promise you that is not how you want to clean it!
                          Pics, we need pics

Comment

The first place they mention is Smokey Joes which I work 1/4 mile from. Had it several times since they reopened(after a fire). It is ok at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Who keeps a “ dirty/ seasoned “ bbq pit

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                              Pics, we need pics

I didn’t own a camera at the time, and they sure didn’t have them on phones.

It was HOT, and that stuff burned forever making nasty black smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just burn one of those Chimney cleaning logs every spring. Works like a champ

Comment

Working...
                                X