2019-2020 Hill Country Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
    Good Luck on the new lease!! Better hope you aren't neighbors with one of the guys on here complaining about people on other land setting up this late in season!! LOL!!

Seriously, Good Luck!!

LOL! Yeah I read that back there. Thanks for the well wishes! Goodluck to all you fellas in the stand this weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Puncher51 View Post
      I keep tabs of when the first fawns of the year are seen, and for us it is usually around May 15-20th. That means they were bred around November 1 to October 25th or so. That puts us right on target this year with previous years. Our best visual rut activity is the third and 4th week of November due to more competition among bucks and fewer does available to be bred.
      That's typically when we see the most activity as well.....

Comment

The cameras show lots of night movement with singles coming and going. Have not seen any mature deer for a couple of days.

Good luck all.......................

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
          The cameras show lots of night movement with singles coming and going. Have not seen any mature deer for a couple of days.

Good luck all.......................
          About the same for us. Mature bucks all but disappeared from the cameras within the last week. Did see one this morning though about 600 yards out though locked down on a doe. Not chasing her just slowly following her every step. He was too far to see points but nice frame size and a big body.

Comment

Keeping up with about 4K acres. Almost no shots this morning. My cameras showed no movement during the day..........

Comment

Shot another stag today. Only 1 buck tag left, so will have to be choosy for remainder of season.

Saw a bunch of young 8pts, but nothing I would shoot. Tons of skinny does as well. No sign of rut from what I could tell.

Comment

You’ll be eating good this year!!

Comment

Yesterday morning in Harper, the feeder went off. Does came in...about a minute later they are looking up into the cedars. Two spikes come scent checking and chased the does in a circle. Then a bigger buck came out, a 7 pt. He chases off the spikes, comes back to the feeder and I shot him. They are chasing, the cold weather is helping.

Comment

Knocked down my biggest buck off this San Saba Co. Lease. We've hunted it for 5 or 6 yrs and it has always had lots of deer just not many bigger deer.

Had pics of him all Aug and Sept. Then he disappeared, at least coming to corn he disappeared.
                    This weekend was sloooow as far as deer coming to corn. Lots of new green growth and tons of acorns on the ground.
                    I was sitting in my ground blind playing on my phone because i hadn't seen but 3 deer in 3 previous sits, i look up and he is crossing my opening. As soon as i laid eyes on him i knew what deer it was. He went behind a bigger tree and i move my gun/tripod and give him a couple "mehs" when he came out the other side of the tree and dumped him with my new Alamo Precision TBH special 6mm creedmoor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a great buck. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
                        Knocked down my biggest buck off this San Saba Co. Lease. We've hunted it for 5 or 6 yrs and it has always had lots of deer just not many bigger deer.

Had pics of him all Aug and Sept. Then he disappeared, at least coming to corn he disappeared.
                        This weekend was sloooow as far as deer coming to corn. Lots of new green growth and tons of acorns on the ground.
                        I was sitting in my ground blind playing on my phone because i hadn't seen but 3 deer in 3 previous sits, i look up and he is crossing my opening. As soon as i laid eyes on him i knew what deer it was. He went behind a bigger tree and i move my gun/tripod and give him a couple "mehs" when he came out the other side of the tree and dumped him with my new Alamo Precision TBH special 6mm creedmoor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
                        Congrats! Nice buck!

Comment

We had a really good opening weekend. My cousin took his best Hill Country buck. The rest of us hunted a really big framed 8. Several more shooters on camera that we hope to get on before season ends. Bberend05 will be alone shortly with pictures

Comment

The last several weeks we've had loads of axis and whitetail at all our feeders. Friday night and yesterday it hailed acorns. Feeders were like ghost towns all weekend.

Zach (my son) was after a big axis. We heard one bellowing about a half mile away yesterday evening, so we stalked toward him. We got to within 100 yards of the herd, but they were in a thick patch of oaks (dang acorns). No livestock on our lease, so there's lots of underbrush. Saw the buck, but it was too thick to get a shot. We tried to move to get a better angle, but no dice. They finally saw us and slipped out down the hill. Fun stalk, but no shot.

Whitetail bucks are bird dogging all over hoping for hot does, but none of the does are having it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                              We had a really good opening weekend. My cousin took his best Hill Country buck. The rest of us hunted a really big framed 8. Several more shooters on camera that we hope to get on before season ends. Bberend05 will be alone shortly with pictures

Comment

Nice bucks fellas! Congrats a good weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X