No announcement yet.

Anyone shoot a 450 bushmaster AR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could very easily get advertised speed and then some with mine even with a 16” barrel.

Comment

Originally posted by Keg View Post
      Why do you like the 6.8 better? More distance?
      Ammo is much cheaper, one doubles as my coyote gun, and I have yet to see the hog that won’t drop with a high shoulder shot with either 6.8 that I own. This one weighed 270, dropped him in the corn row
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Ammo is much cheaper, one doubles as my coyote gun, and I have yet to see the hog that won’t drop with a high shoulder shot with either 6.8 that I own. This one weighed 270, dropped him in the corn row
        I’ve been thinking bout getting a 6.8 upper...but the way I hunt hogs..75 yards max..plus I like the idea of a big bore AR....

Comment

Been shooting the 450 Bushmaster now about a year out of a Stoner upper from Midway. The 250gr FTX Bullet is made specifically for the 450 Bushmaster. They are proprietary projectiles, NOT handgun bullets loaded in the cartridge. Maybe in the beginning. But not now. I have not used it on game yet. I added Armaspec 2 stage buffer and changed the muzzle brake to the tanker type, left the gas block alone. Have a A2 stock on it. I get groups under an inch at 100yds. Federal makes a 300gr bullet, but the drop is 7-8" at 100yds compared to the 250gr FTX.
          www.Targetsportsusa.com has had the ammo at great prices.

No doubt the round is a thumper and the 250 gr FTX is THE load for the 450 Bushmaster. I am sure it is good pig medicine.

Comment

Yall should just get a 45-70 and be happy . No problems for at least 100 years or so

Comment

FWIW, I killed the cow in my avatar with a 94 Winchester 44 mag, launching a 310 grain gas check bullet at about 1600. Shot her 3 times, two of which went straight through the heart, and only had one that didn’t pass through.

According to hodgdon, the BM is on par with a 300 grain “Trapdoor” 45-70 load—basically what you buy at academy.

Comment

The 45-70 may be same caliber as the 250gr FTX 450 Bushmaster. After 100yds it starts dropping. There are magnum 45-70 loads with 300gr bullets that can push a 45-70 to 2200FPS...But who is gonna shoot that? In a lever gun or single shot most of the time.
                The ballistics of the BM 250gr FTX is 4" high at 100yds, dead on at 200 and at 300yds... it drops 19.3".
                All this at 2200FPS and it is semi auto delivering 7 rds. in a AR size package.
                While many other calibers are capable...I look at the 45-70 as like having points on your ignition instead of the 450 Bushmaster and having electronic ignition.
                Both work, but one is modern.

Comment

I love my 450BM This buck was 287yds DRT.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                    Did you just point it at him and he DRT?

Comment

Originally posted by coop2564 View Post
                      THAT... is a heck of a shot with that bullet dropping 19" at 300 yds.
                      You must know your caliber!

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                        I'm not really sure where the '450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets' comes from. If the implication is that it is some how inferior because it uses 0.452" bullets-traditionally a pistol caliber- this really isn't true. My Savage muzzleloader uses this size bullet too, and I have no problem finding appropriate bullets to shove down that barrel.

The 450 Bushmaster Hornady 250 grain FTX, for example, uses the same bullet I can buy & use in my muzzleloader, if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe 0.452 vrs 0.458 might matter if you are a hard core reloader, but it means nothing to me or probably anybody else who doesn't reload.
                        pistol bullet as opposed to a rifle bullet,, the pistol bullet is jacket is thinner and more likely to come apart at rifle velocities,, it's not the diameter that creates a difference it's the jacket and bullet weights, up to 600 in the 458 and about 300 gr in the 45,,, the 450 us not superior to the 458 in any guise,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                          THAT... is a heck of a shot with that bullet dropping 19" at 300 yds.
                          You must know your caliber!
                          Have a Muzzleloader scope on it the ballistics match perfect.

Comment

So the 458 SOCOM is the better choice because it uses heavier, slower rifle bullets that equates to less energy than what the 450 BM delivers? I think we all know what heavier & slower means for trajectory. Oh and almost nobody makes ammo for it or rifles for that matter, right?

And exactly which 450 BM round from Federal, Hornady, Winchester or Remington has those pistol bullets that are going to come apart on me?

Nothing I've seen tells me the 458 SOCOM is the better choice and replies to this thread have not changed that.

I plan to hunt hogs & deer with my 450 BM. Now if we're talking buffalo or elk, maybe I'd want that heavier bullet. But even then, is the 458 SOCOM going to be around in 10 years? Why would it be?

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                              Mine really liked the Hornady FTX 250g rounds too. I did put a cheap recoil pad on the butt.

Don't think it'll be as bad as your 45-70.
                              Retro post
                              I have a .450 bushmaster and a 45/70, my son and I shot both and hands down the .450 takes more meat from our shoulders! The 45-70 isn’t a hard kick but more like a slow motion push in comparison! Bullet for bullet!

Comment

I would love a big bore AR but I know that would lead to a big bore suppressor lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X