No more straps! Trailer mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more straps! Trailer mod

Been making a few trips around TX hauling these high quality Coonhood protein feeders (www.coonhood.com) to customers. After the feeders cut probably $100 worth of straps in only a couple months, I knew I needed to do something different. This weekend I rigged this up and I can already tell it was worth the investment.
    Stationary pulleys on one side, pulleys w/ hooks on the other.
    1cable looped though the whole run. Can tighten the whole load with the single crank.

No more spending time messing with straps or trying to watch a number of differs straps in the rear view as Im rolling down the road. I just see that any part of the line is still tight and know everything is good to go.

I think this little modification might have just saved me $ hundreds of $ & and countless hours.

Just thought I'd share
    Attached Files

Cool. What are you using for a crank?

Comment

You can see it on the front corner of the trailer. It's just a hand crank like you would see on a boat trailer

Comment

Good idea, but if dot wanted to give u a ticket they could for an unsecure load. Each anchor point has to be separate from the others incase one breaks u still have it secure. Just a though, probably wont happen unless one of the pricks see it.

Comment

Looks good to me!

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
            Good idea, but if dot wanted to give u a ticket they could for an unsecure load. Each anchor point has to be separate from the others incase one breaks u still have it secure. Just a though, probably wont happen unless one of the pricks see it.
            Interesting I Didn't know that . I do have a fail safe built in, the slack at the end of the line feeds back through over the load and is anchored separately so that if the cable breaks it is still secured

Comment

Wrong about DOT. You are only regulated if you are 26,001 gvwr or more in Texas-intrastate, or 10,001 gvwr or more in Interstate commerce, ie. your load leaves the state. Your securement method is fine and looks very user friendly. Saves time, saves money, I like it. Again, DOT does NOT apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Reaper View Post
                Wrong about DOT. You are only regulated if you are 26,001 gvwr or more in Texas-intrastate, or 10,001 gvwr or more in Interstate commerce, ie. your load leaves the state. Your securement method is fine and looks very user friendly. Saves time, saves money, I like it. Again, DOT does NOT apply.

Well then good deal! Thanks for the info!!

Comment

I was one of those so called "pricks" retired, now do DOT for a private company. Handle this every day! Good luck and good job!

Comment

Drill ya some 1/2" holes about every 24" on the bottom angle and use these. Works great.

Comment

Great idea Coonhood!

Comment

You can go to a sling shop and have cordura sewn on straps, this will stop damage. Another securement point that I have done on trailers with sides like yours. I had a button swaged every 12" on 3/8" wire rope. Weld the buttons to trailer frame inside down by the boards, "loop" the wire rope enough to use a 2" tie-down strap with a wire hook or flat hook into the wire rope loop.
                        Good idea with the wire rope and winch.

Comment

cool

Comment

From what I have seen on most of the contractor trailers around here all you need is twine.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiplashTX View Post
                              From what I have seen on most of the contractor trailers around here all you need is twine.
                              Or yellow Romex

Comment

Working...
                              X