X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WAY more of everything killed than last year... wow

Comment

Originally posted by Tiburon1 View Post

Thanks it worked, man i hope they start to have alligator hunts, too many of those creatures floating around the waters of atascosa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

was a fun hunt cool place, will be back. saw deer nilgi and hogs.

main tip: bring a tripod, 7 to 16 feet tall, tall grass all over the place.

second tip: bring chaps, saw a few snakes, and thorns everywhere
        Last edited by Falling; 12-04-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          Nice!!!! Congrats! We need to see pics!
          Not 2 bed!! like watched them bed down for the night!!!I wish I could had got one!!!not me. Never saw one within 100 yds.

Comment

Finally winding down from a long week of hunting. Plenty of ups and downs along the way for a first time trip. I will always appreciate the awesome experience of this one. This is the first TP&W drawn hunt I have ever done and will hopefully not be the last. Saw a large variety of wildlife. It was a little sad at the end as I could not recover the buck I shot today. Even though we could not find him after several hours I am still very appreciative For my friend that helped do the tracking and the staff that was patient with us and helped get us out safely. I will write more about the experience if y’all are interested, but I wanted to use this as a platform to thank the folks (paid and volunteers) that put this hunt on. I also I owe thanks to TBH for making it possible to meet good folks as well. Hope everyone has a safe trip home.

Comment

Would like to hear more about your hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Stx86 View Post
                Would like to hear more about your hunt

Same here..

Comment

I saw only two bucks while hunting there. The other was bigger. I shot this buck with 10 minutes of shooting light left. All I had was a quartering shot and no time so I sent it to the boiler house. I thought, maybe I missed but I shot 15 yards. No blood. I had a gut feeling the arrow was in him and the guts sealed the wound channel up. I saw him run maybe 80 yards and darted to the left. I looked and looked and still no blood. The wildlife refuge said I couldn't keep on him if there was no blood, so I looked in the morning. Zig zagged and followed deer trails and found him about 130 yards away. Didn't leave a drop of blood! Hauled him 2.5 miles on my bike to get him out.

It was a great time, lots of kind people willing to help each other out and sharing roughly where each other's hunting to leave space for each other, that seemed to work out to me. Most people I saw hunting though really kept near the roads, I shot this one deeper in the brush. I saw lots of nilgai sign but fresher deer sign where I shot him, so pick your quarry and hunt them hard!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Nice work on that recovery with no blood. Also thanks for posting up the board results. I'm leaving my house in about 18 hours, can't wait to get there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Reaper View Post
                      Nice work on that recovery with no blood. Also thanks for posting up the board results. I'm leaving my house in about 18 hours, can't wait to get there!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Good luck!

Comment

Wife and I are headed down there in the morning! Glad yall left some for us!! :-D

Comment

Nice job on the recovery! I am heading down there tonight, plan to scout me a spot in the morning before the Orientation. Good luck everyone, maybe I will see you there!

Comment

2 buddies and I are headed down in the morning. How is the cellular service(Verizon) on the NWR?

Comment

Originally posted by Ispdnxs View Post
                              Finally winding down from a long week of hunting. Plenty of ups and downs along the way for a first time trip. I will always appreciate the awesome experience of this one. This is the first TP&W drawn hunt I have ever done and will hopefully not be the last. Saw a large variety of wildlife. It was a little sad at the end as I could not recover the buck I shot today. Even though we could not find him after several hours I am still very appreciative For my friend that helped do the tracking and the staff that was patient with us and helped get us out safely. I will write more about the experience if y’all are interested, but I wanted to use this as a platform to thank the folks (paid and volunteers) that put this hunt on. I also I owe thanks to TBH for making it possible to meet good folks as well. Hope everyone has a safe trip home.
                              I would love to hear it

Originally posted by dannorocks View Post
                              I saw only two bucks while hunting there. The other was bigger. I shot this buck with 10 minutes of shooting light left. All I had was a quartering shot and no time so I sent it to the boiler house. I thought, maybe I missed but I shot 15 yards. No blood. I had a gut feeling the arrow was in him and the guts sealed the wound channel up. I saw him run maybe 80 yards and darted to the left. I looked and looked and still no blood. The wildlife refuge said I couldn't keep on him if there was no blood, so I looked in the morning. Zig zagged and followed deer trails and found him about 130 yards away. Didn't leave a drop of blood! Hauled him 2.5 miles on my bike to get him out.

It was a great time, lots of kind people willing to help each other out and sharing roughly where each other's hunting to leave space for each other, that seemed to work out to me. Most people I saw hunting though really kept near the roads, I shot this one deeper in the brush. I saw lots of nilgai sign but fresher deer sign where I shot him, so pick your quarry and hunt them hard!

Congrats! Did you see any rut activity?

Comment

Man that was a tough hunt, we were fortunate enough to land a nice doe, had an opportunity of 2 doe's coming down a trail which would've given me a 12yd shot, I drew back as I was in a really nice brush blind under a tree, clipped a twig and they both took off for about 20yds. They both ended up working their way back across my field of view and shooting lane which was about 2-3 feet wide and she stopped at the brush line which I had ranged at 44yds, adjusted sight when I knew she was walking the brush line i ranged, drew back and let her fly and it couldn't have been any more perfect of a shot, complete pass through on the pump station and she ran no more then 20yds and there she laid. the last hour on our last evening of the trip and it felt so good to be rewarded with the opportunity after 4 longgggg days of hard hunting. Frustration, dehydration, blisters, thorns, mosquitoes, chiggers, snakes, more thorns, no sighting of any animals, a ton of orange everywhere, muddy swampy tall grass, and in the end it was so worth it and id do this hunt 100 times over. love this place. 31.38 miles on foot throughout those days. We definitely did not slack on the working end for it. and if it wasn't for me and my hunting partner continuously pushing each other through those hard frustrating moments then it would not have gone as it did. DO NOT GIVE UP ON THIS HUNT. Hope to get drawn again as we learned a lot this year and just built up more knowledge of this place to come back even stronger next year.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by txhushlife; 12-05-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X