Stand by Hunter Process on Draw Hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone that has experienced the Stand By Hunt Process at any of the Draw Hunts could you explain how you were picked? Did they put names in a hat, did you Draw Straws or Cards or did the Hunt Director decide on his own who got picked. Just wondered if you thought it was a fair process and if each person had a fair opportunity for selection!!

I have only ever done the standby for duck hunts and yes they are very fair to me. Take everyone’s name and info and give them a number of a ball. Put the ball in a bucket and at the cut off time someone will draw out of the bucket. I personal have been picked 4 times on standby out of probably 10 try’s. Odds depend on how many’s spots are open and how many show up for standby. I personal would be there early and get a low ball but that’s me

Comment

Some are more fair than others, they can draw names but call whomever they want. I've heard of some places where the same locals get "picked" every time and nobody else seems to draw. IME they're all a little different process but I have no reason to believe anything's been unfair.

Comment

The only one where I went where they had to draw was back when you filled out the application and mailed it in, it was the same form they used for stand by. Then they folded them up and put in a bucket (I think) and drew out what they needed to fill spots.
        About 3 years ago, I drew the Chap. They basically did the same thing there.
        Your best bet for stand by is get yourself and 3 more on the same card instead of 4 separate cards.
        The other hunts that I went in for stand by, I got to hunt being that I was the only one there. One time they only had 2 spots and there were 3 of us. They decided to open up a spot they wasn’t planning on hunting and let us all in.

Comment

I went standby once and it was so hot and miserable hardly any of the regular hunters showed up so everyone on standby got to hunt. But it has always been name in a hat at others. I think it is fair and I don't think there's a bunch of dishonest guys working for TPWD all over the state running questionable hunt and standby drawings. Some of the local standys I've talked to at hunts show up for the standby drawing every time there's a hunt so the odds are they do get drawn more often based on the number of times they try.

Some people have to have conspiracy theories for everything it seems. Same ones that don't understand the math behind the draw hunts and always complain about those drawings are the ones that are the loudest about unfair standby drawings.

Comment

The Matador standby hunters all got in last year. There were probably like 5-6. Seemed like the office needed to take into account how many drawn hunters there were, how many didn't show, how many standby hunters there were and made a game time decision from there. The hunt was archery only in October last year but seemed like anyone standby there would have a pretty good chance. But I don't know.

Comment

Expect to go home on popular hunts and you won't be disappointed. Best system I've seen was applications folded put in a can. Random person in the crowd drew first card. The winners drew the next. Applications were up to four people. Cards were drawn until Standby number was filled or exceeded. Example 10 standbys available. First three applications were 9 people total. Next draw whether 1, 2, 3 or 4 get to hunt. Some hunts buddying up on an application helps draw odds especially if there are no assigned compartments/units. Some people don't want to share a unit and won't buddy up on an application to increase the odds of being drawn. That is fine.
              Last thing about the Warden's buddies being drawn. Many of the people that show up for these hunts have been doing this for many years and have met the staff and know them of a first name basis along with other hunters from past drawings and hunts. For a new person to standby hunts to see one of these groups drawn, it would look like favorites or local buddies are being drawn. Or it might be a cousin or BIL.
              Last edited by ABWGTX; 09-29-2022, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                I went standby once and it was so hot and miserable hardly any of the regular hunters showed up so everyone on standby got to hunt. But it has always been name in a hat at others. I think it is fair and I don't think there's a bunch of dishonest guys working for TPWD all over the state running questionable hunt and standby drawings. Some of the local standys I've talked to at hunts show up for the standby drawing every time there's a hunt so the odds are they do get drawn more often based on the number of times they try.

Some people have to have conspiracy theories for everything it seems. Same ones that don't understand the math behind the draw hunts and always complain about those drawings are the ones that are the loudest about unfair standby drawings.

This....

Comment

Every time I've watched or been in the drawing it has just been names in a hat and most times they let a kid draw the names if there are any there.

Comment

The draws I have been to have been fair. Names on cards, cards into a bucket, a drawn hunter or kid from the crowd draws the cards out.

Comment

I went to a what seemed like a very questionable draw once, not sure of the staff was paying attention to the numbers game being played, it got called out by someone. The next stand by at same place they changed how did it, then it was totally fair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It helps to know the staff. I was drawn on a hunt which claimed to have no stand-by positions. Someone local showed up and was known by the staff. Well, since you're the only stand-by you can hunt.

Comment

We know the staff at Gus, RC and Big Lake very well and I can guarantee we do not have any advantage over anyone else in the standby drawings.
                          Dad has been hunting Gus since it opened (1968?)

Staff at some of the other WMAs might be shady (I highly doubt it) but the ones at the above are fair and honest

Comment

It has been fair for me on multple occasions. One time everybody put their names on a small piece of paper and I put mine first in the bowl and the guy barely moved the bowl around so my flat piece of paper was sitting on bottom and I did not get picked. I suggest crumbling up the paper into a ball if this situation happens again.

Comment

Assuming that you get picked for a Stand By Position, What type payment will the Area Manager accept for your hunt? Check, Cash or Credit/Debit Card?

Comment

Working...
                              X