Texas pheasant hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas pheasant hunting

Lately I have been watching a lot YouTube videos on upland bird hunting, and it has me wanting to go. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pheasant hunt in the panhandle?

You could drive a couple hours more to the north and hunt in Kansas. Lot of public land for pheasants there and the season opens there the second Saturday in November. Been doing this for a while now.

Comment

I went on my first pheasant in the pan handle in 2019. Covid killed the 2020 hunt, and 2021 the place we go the Farmer said not a lot of birds.

Well I called the TPWD Biologist for that county and he confirmed with the drought the bird number do not look good.

What ever guided service you use, you might want to discuss the bird numbers before you put your money down. Or, like someone suggested, see about going out of state.

I will say this the videos you wanted and the tv shows don't do it justice. It is an incredible hunt.

Comment

Like stated above, go to KS

Comment

We had a great 21’ hunt last year here in the panhandle. Most guys we ran into limited as well. Not sure who had low bird numbers, but they were there for us.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
            You could drive a couple hours more to the north and hunt in Kansas. Lot of public land for pheasants there and the season opens there the second Saturday in November. Been doing this for a while now.
            This way more birds go up by liberal Kansas

Comment

Had a great 19’ hunt as well. Didn’t have time to try for a 20’ hunt though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                We had a great 21’ hunt last year here in the panhandle. Most guys we ran into limited as well. Not sure who had low bird numbers, but they were there for us.
                Where y'all go huntin at?

Comment

All great info, thanks guys. Kansas may be closer to me, or not much further, so that’s a good idea.

Comment

Pheasant hunter ng is my favorite, and it’s great for a girl like me. They’re bigger and they fly slower than quail do.

They’ve really dried up this year, though.

Comment

I ain't seen very many pheasants here in the Oklahoma Panhandle. We hunt up around Liberal, Kismit,Plains and Hugoton,Kansas some. It's hard to say what the numbers are like right now. After corn harvest it'll be easier to tell since that's where they're mostly staying right now if it's irrigated corn. It's been pretty dry around here so they probably didn't have as good a hatch as I'd like to see but it's too early to tell. They don't move around much when it's hot outside.

Comment

Call Dane at Tule Creek Outfitters in Tulia. You can combine hunts with waterfowl.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                          Next time you go, I need to do this. Do you still go to the same place that El Lobo and FishingBum would go to!!

Comment

wild birds are fun but get your feet wet first on some easy birds, check out top flight preserve in columbus texas, can put together different packages and wont have to worry about if youll see birds,

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                              Next time you go, I need to do this. Do you still go to the same place that El Lobo and FishingBum would go to!!
                              Ya know, we were having some good hunts up there with them. Then one summer, the guy we were staying with up there along with El Lobo and his son had fell of the top of a tractor trailer rig and wasn’t found till hours later. Almost killed him. So that incident put a damper on that upcoming hunt. After that, I lost track with Fishingbum and El Lobo. Don’t think we even went back up there for a few years. Then my little brother got everybody together and they started hunting up around Dodge City. Last year was the worst I have ever seen it as far as hunters goes. They were out everywhere. Now my brother is going to go up and do some scouting in another part of Kansas, somewhere close to the Colorado state line.
                              We are already planning to go opening weekend. We could use ya if want to go. Only have 10 or so in our group that goes. As soon as I find out where we are going, I’ll let you know.

Comment

Working...
                              X