Copperhead or cottonmouth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copperhead or cottonmouth?

What’s y’all’s take on these little fellas. Buddy killed 3 at his lake house today. I automatically said copperheads. Another guy is making a good argument that they are cottonmouths.
    Attached Files

cottonmouths

Comment

Baby cottonmouth

Comment

Cottonmouths
        Lesto!!

Comment

That’s a good one !

Comment

Copper head, green tails

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
              Copper head, green tails

Juvenile cottonmouths have more distinctive bands across their bodies and are lighter brown compared with adult cottonmouths. Juveniles also have bright-yellow tail tips that they use as lure to attract prey, too.
              Lesto!!

Comment

Baby water moccasins

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                  Juvenile cottonmouths have more distinctive bands across their bodies and are lighter brown compared with adult cottonmouths. Juveniles also have bright-yellow tail tips that they use as lure to attract prey, too.
                  Kill them either way

Comment

Juvenile cottonmouths

Look for the “ghost face” in the pattern.. two eyes and a mouth. If I could get tapacrap to work I’d post a picture.
                    Last edited by Tommy1123; 09-04-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

I caught two of those little guys and kept them as pets for a while. They were the most ill tempered snakes I ever tried to keep as pets. Any time anyone got near the aquarium they would be striking and hitting the glass constantly. Never had a snake that was anywhere near as aggressive. After I had them for a few weeks, I decided to look them up in my snake books. Just thought they were cool looking snakes, since they had yellow tails, I was sure they were not any type of venomous snake. We had those things all over the place. When I looked them up, I was surprised to find they looked a lot like young moccasins. My mother said there is no way those are water moccasins, you would have gotten bit and had to go to the hospital by now.

So I caught one, got it out of the aquarium and then took a nail and ran it along the roof of the snake's mouth from the rear to the front. Sure enough I got two fangs to pop out. My mother was standing there watching. She saw the fangs and me holding the snake. She kind of flipped out at that point. I was probably 13 at the time. She was yelling at me to throw it away. I kept telling her the way I was holding it, it could not get me. She insisted I throw the snake immediately. I wound up killing both with a pocket knife, my mother was flipping out. Stuck a pocket knife through their heads while holding them.

We had those things all around our yard, mainly around the barn. just about any time you could go walk around the barn and find at least one, if not two or three. So afterwards, I did not catch any more of the ill tempered yellow tailed snakes. We killed all of them. For a few years, it seemed like almost daily we finding and killing at least one. Then my little brother was crawling around the barn late one afternoon, looking for bugs for his science class bug collection we all had to do. My brother waited till later afternoon, then went crawling around on his hands and knees around the barn, looking for bugs. He found momma moccasin, met her face to face. She opened her mouth wide and hissed in his face. My little round brother, turned into a track star instantly. He took off running across the yard, hurdled the bird bath, then about broke the sliding glass door trying to get into the house.

Yep, those are definitely moccasins. If where you live, is anything like where we used to live. You probably have a bunch more of those little fanged *******s around.
                      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 09-04-2022, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I caught two of those little guys and kept them as pets for a while. They were the most ill tempered snakes I ever tried to keep as pets. Any time anyone got near the aquarium they would be striking and hitting the glass constantly. Never had a snake that was anywhere near as aggressive. After I had them for a few weeks, I decided to look them up in my snake books. Just thought they were cool looking snakes, since they had yellow tails, I was sure they were not any type of venomous snake. We had those things all over the place. When I looked them up, I was surprised to find they looked a lot like young moccasins. My mother said there is no way those are water moccasins, you would have gotten bit and had to go to the hospital by now.

So I caught one, got it out of the aquarium and then took a nail and ran it along the roof of the snake's mouth from the rear to the front. Sure enough I got two fangs to pop out. My mother was standing there watching. She saw the fangs and me holding the snake. She kind of flipped out at that point. I was probably 13 at the time. She was yelling at me to throw it away. I kept telling her the way I was holding it, it could not get me. She insisted I throw the snake immediately. I wound up killing both with a pocket knife, my mother was flipping out. Stuck a pocket knife through their heads while holding them.

We had those things all around our yard, mainly around the barn. just about any time you could go walk around the barn and find at least one, if not two or three. So afterwards, I did not catch any more of the ill tempered yellow tailed snakes. We killed all of them. For a few years, it seemed like almost daily we finding and killing at least one. Then my little brother was crawling around the barn late one afternoon, looking for bugs for his science class bug collection we all had to do. My brother waited till later afternoon, then went crawling around on his hands and knees around the barn, looking for bugs. He found momma moccasin, Met her face to face. My little round brother turned into a track star instantly. He took off running across the yard, hurdled the bird bath, then about broke the sliding glass door trying to get into the house.

Yep, those are definitely moccasins. If where you live, is anything like where we used to live. You probably have a bunch more of those little fanged *******s around.

Sooooo….moccasins.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Sooooo….moccasins.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yep, ill tempered snakes. Like no other snake I have ever encountered. Don't make good pets, not recommended to try petting them. Good for flounder gigging practice.

Comment

100000000% cotton mouth

Comment

Cottonmouths. 100%. Final answer. Cottonmouths and copperheads will have yellow tipped tails as juveniles.

Comment

Working...
                              X