In Honor Of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Honor Of...

One of the things I love about traditional archery is an archer can choose to do things for reasons other than maximum efficiency. We're already shooting a stick, so there's nothing to prevent us from making decisions based off of our notions about tradition, and heritage... or in some cases to remember somebody.

As most of you know, one of our own, Randy Madden, suffered a big loss a few weeks ago. I became aware of Kristie's battle with cancer over a year ago, through a fundraiser put on by Michael Arnette of Tall Tines bows. He wanted to raise some money to support Kristie, and in the process I wound up winning a Stickflinger longbow. The bow came in this spring, and I have been getting to know it. It took some doing, as I'm not a longbow guy, but I got it shooting straight in time to go to the Bob Lee memorial shoot, and I started to get along pretty well with it. It's an unassuming combination, actionwood and grey glass, but it's a shooter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	25285552

Name:	IMG_1778.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	25285550

Now what does this have to do with "honor"? Well I was working on broadhead tuning the bow when I got the news that Kristie passed, and something went "click" in my brain. I'm a one bow guy, usually, and you'd be hard pressed to tear my Widow out of my hands, especially when it's a high pressure shot... but I decided right then and there, that this season needs to be different. I busted out the spray paint, and turned that gray glass into hunting camo, and you can consider this post as me making it official. As a "recurve" guy, a "one bow" shooter, and a mediocre bow hunter, I'm making this longbow my main squeeze this season, and it's the first one up until it draws blood, or the season's over. I'm making a non hunting, hunting decision.

Traditional archery is about more than bullseyes and trophy bucks, if we let it be. And I'm going to embrace the less tangible, nearly indescribable awesomeness that comes with the simple stick and string. Probably won't be wearing plaid, and I still will use a tree stand, but this season, I'm going to lean into the memories and stories that make hunting more than just freezer filling. I'm going to hunt with a bow that's special due to circumstance, and I'm going to remember friends and stories every time I see that bow.

So there you have it. Will my actions make a whit of difference in this world full of joys and pains? Nope. Will it cost me on a tough shot sometime in November? Maybe. Will it help me remember more frequently that a friend is hurting? You're darn right it will. I never got the chance to meet her, but this season's going to be in honor of Kristie Madden.

Name:	IMG_1789.jpg
Size:	551.8 KB
ID:	25285551

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	25285553

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	25285554

That’s just pure awesomeness Malachi!!!!! I hope you take your biggest buck ever with that bow this season……….

and then totally convert to being a longbow guy; mabey even sell that old widow!!!!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heck yeah man! It’s officially official now! Best of luck!!! I look forward to following along

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hats off to you brother. Make it count.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          That’s just pure awesomeness Malachi!!!!! I hope you take your biggest buck ever with that bow this season……….

and then totally convert to being a longbow guy; mabey even sell that old widow!!!!

[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Bisch

While I welcome the big buck wishes, I think I need to make one point clear.

I am HUNTING with this bow. Not giving up old 12 Ring! If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to sabotage my 3D scores!

Comment

Originally posted by trumpkin View Post
            while i welcome the big buck wishes, i think i need to make one point clear.

I am hunting with this bow. Not giving up old 12 ring! If i didn't know better, i'd say you were trying to sabotage my 3d scores! :d

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              While I welcome the big buck wishes, I think I need to make one point clear.

I am HUNTING with this bow. Not giving up old 12 Ring! If I didn't know better, I'd say you were trying to sabotage my 3D scores!

Got to try to get every advantage I can!!!! I’m not a young whippersnapper like you anymore!!

Bisch

Comment

Good push Malachi.
                The deer have moved back in over here. Hopefully we can get you a honor harvest on that stick and start the season of honor harvests sooner than later.

Its squirrel season and theyre plentiful.

You know where to find me.

RIP Mrs Kristie
                God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                  Good push Malachi.
                  The deer have moved back in over here. Hopefully we can get you a honor harvest on that stick and start the season of honor harvests sooner than later.

Its squirrel season and theyre plentiful.

You know where to find me.

RIP Mrs Kristie
                  God bless!
                  Ya know, I hadn't even thought about a squirrel sticking party... Might need to start the show sooner than I originally figured!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    Ya know, I hadn't even thought about a squirrel sticking party... Might need to start the show sooner than I originally figured!
                    Come on.
                    Bring yourself.

Comment

Dang Malachi, ya made my allergies act up a bit. Very well spoken, sir.

Comment

This is awesome!! Wishing you the best of luck this fall!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what makes the traditional archery crowd truly awesome, things just like this.
                          Thanks for sharing

Comment

Shooting gear in honor of someone special is a good thing. I'll be shooting my Big River bows, recurve and longbow, in honor of John, as he and his wife continue on their journey.

Comment

I’m honored to call you friend! She would absolutely love this.
                              Gotta go, Dang allergies are acting up…….

Comment

Working...
                              X