• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parked facing downhill for a few weeks until I got the starter replacement

Comment

Yep. '79 Chevy pickup.

Comment

In the early 90s I had a manual Nissan pickup.
        Being fresh out of high school I had a pretty low paying job and the starter went out, or so I thought.

By the time I paid rent, insurance etc it took forever to save for a starter, I think about 6 months. I got really good at picking parking spots, but it really put a dent in my dating life.

Once I finally had the money I went to Ace Alternators in the next town over, they tested everything out, came back in to tell me it was my neutral safety switch. I can’t remember how much the relay was, but they only charged me a dollar to by pass it.
        I bought them lunch but still kick myself in arse for pushing that thing for so fricking long.
        One fricking dollar. [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove my old 78 International scout without a battery for while back in the day. It was always tough to find a strap enough hill living in San Antonio.

Comment

The church bus broke down on the way to six flags one summer. We talked the youth director into pushing in the clutch and getting it rolling down the hill and when he popped the clutch it twisted the drive shaft in half. Never listen to a teenager.

Comment

yep 1972 rally nova , loved that old car !

Comment

I had to push start my automatic transmission car when the battery died but it wasn’t by running along side the car.

Comment

1963 Impala, what memories!

Comment

My brother had a corvair we pushed with the tractor so much we took the bumper off and bolted 2 2 x 6 boards in its place. We pushed it down the hill and popped the clutch everyday. He would actually park it on hills so it was easier to get going.

Comment

Had to do that a few times with an old ‘67 Ford pickup I owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

who remembers?

I remember parking my old Toyota facing downhill in the pasture when my GF and I put a blanket in the back to “watch the stars”. The starter worked fine, but I knew the amp would kill the battery before we got done “looking at the stars” with the stereo on.

Comment

who remembers?

When I first started driving we had an ‘80 model Chevy 1 ton flatbed at the shop, with a tired 350 and a granny low 4 speed. My job was hauling “hot shot” loads out, from a couple hundred brick, to 100 bags of mortar. The old granny low wouldn’t stay in 3rd gear unless you held it there, and I wasn’t strong enough to hold it when it was loaded heavy, and still push the throttle. I learned to get it in 3rd, put my right foot against the shifter, and use my left foot for the throttle. Problem was you had to time it just right letting off the throttle, and letting off the gear shift just right to get back to the clutch, and back to the throttle to make 4th gear in time to not lose all momentum..that shifter beat my right knee black and blue. That was eventually the old 350’s undoing…in loud, and Smokey fashion…when it threw a rod through the side of the block.

We/they had a rebuilt motor put in it, and a clutch, but not whatever holds it in 3rd gear. It got stolen a few weeks later and found with the motor blowed up, presumably because it had jumped out of gear. I was never so glad to see a truck die.

After that one the boss bought me an 89 F350 with a 460 and a 5 speed. Man I was chopping tall cotton, ford other not. That thing would pull like nobodies business, and the AIR CONDITIONER worked! It had 2 26 gallon fuel tanks, and I broke a U-joint one tim on 820, and the drive shaft slapped a fuel tank so hard it only held 24 gallons after that. That was a great truck, and I took good care of it. I went to a different department for a few weeks, and some idiot blew it up because he got distracted by weed half way through changing the oil….

Last edited by Dale Moser; 09-26-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

In high school i had a 1963 Opel Kadess station wagon. That's mortifying enough. Hardly anything worked on the thing. Most of the time the starter didn't work so i had to push start it all the time. Park facing down hill, give a push, off i went. One night after i had a really good basketball game, the head cheerleader asked me to take her home. Who me? You serious? As soon as she realized i had to push that pile of junk to get it started, and that when i did get it started the heater didn't work, she bailed out of that car as fast as she could and went onto some other lucky sob w/ decent wheels. Maybe the most embarrassing event of my life. Ugh.

Comment

In high school I had a buddy do it with a ‘92ish Toyota tercel for most of our sophmore year.
                              A girl friend of mine would do it in her late 80’s honda accord.
                              I only did it once or twice with my ‘88 ford brono II in college.

Comment

Had to do it with my 76 Jeep and a few of my 80’s Toyota.

Comment

Working...
                                X