New Lease Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LittleZooski View Post
    Fair enough. We’re looking to build the population, we have about 5/6 8 points coming in on camera that are only 2 1/2 years old so bucks are off limits for about a year or 2 unless a brute comes in during rut. Guests for sure, didn’t think about that. And as selfish as it may sound we haven’t really allowed anyone else to bring guests all this time so I don’t think we’ll start now but definitely a good point to bring up.
    I would think that allowing your Wife, Kid or kids, grandkids to hunt with you would be a good thing and any deer taken by them would count for what each member is allowed. I would not join a lease that did not allow immediate family to hunt with me.

Comment

1. Leave the gates like you found them
      2. Shoot the right deer
      3. Dont be a tool

If everyone can adhere to those the rest should come naturally.

Comment

Consult Brad, Jerry, and Mitch - they have the perfect set of lease rules

Comment

We don't have many rules . I don't understand the no guest rules. We allow guests, and it's never a problem. I would saystand placement sometimes becomes a problem. We do a third rule where it leaves a buffer.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

How big a place and how many people?

Or did I miss that part?
            I feel like rules can vary so much from place to place. Some rules are a must but too many can kill a good lease fast.

One thing I will say though, once you put rules in place, be very mindful of making exceptions to rules. Once exceptions start getting made some people in camp will see that as they are free to interpret the rules as they see fit. It can get slippery very fast.

If any exception is to be made, bring it to a camp vote.

Comment

One thing I have learned over the years if you have to have a bunch of rules you have the wrong members. We have a lease with 6 members and all of them are good people and know right from wrong. It’s that simple.
              Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I would think rules would reflect what your/land owners goals are for the ranch. You stated the probability of not taking bucks for a couple years. That will eliminate half the crowd right there. But the price should reflect that. We don’t allow guests on our lease but that’s the land owners rules. I think there should be immediate family guest rules and all animals taken by them come off your allotment.

Non immediate family guests during off deer season visits like bird hunting outside of deer season. Or maybe hogs, javelina and coyotes during season. Assign pastures to be maintained by paid leased hunters. Keep camp areas clean. No accumulation of junk. If someone puts up a new blind/feeder remove the old ones from the ranch. Don’t bring junk from home to discard of or burn. If you can go through the trouble to haul it all the way out there you can haul it to the dump.

Basic camp rules.

No loaded firearms in camp other than sidearms.
                Do not leave your firearms unattended.
                If you can’t handle your alcohol we’ll do it for you.
                Take trash with you when you leave.
                Clean skinning rack area when done using it.
                Leave gates like you found them.

Comment

Community stands or individual stands
                  Buffer zones to act as no-entry sanctuaries
                  Allow or not allow night time hunting for hogs and varmints
                  Filling feeders midday only
                  Gun safety policies
                  Dove or quail hunting allowed or not
                  Equal lease maintenance requirements
                  Mandatory year round feeding or not

A lot of common sense policies should be addressed up front to eliminate drama untill you have the right like-minded lease members

Comment

1. Safety first
                    2. Pay on time
                    3. Don’t shoot young bucks

Comment

1. If you don’t show up for at least one work weekend “‘community lease “Don’t in expect opening weekend to be put in the number draw the night before season you automatically get last stand pick for the season if multiple people are in camp!!

Comment

So it’s not a huge property around 450 acres and the landowner is only wanting 4/5 max on the land. At this point it’s looking like myself, my buddy who’s dad owns it, my dad, and then 1/2 others.

Comment

As far as building the population, limit the # of deer taken per member until numbers are where you want them.
                          As far as growing the right deer, don’t shoot any culls/management deer till 4yrs old.
                          Work weekends every 6 weeks or so to keep up with property clean and mowed.
                          Make sure every lease member has each others contact info.
                          Lastly, payment must be made on time and every time.

Keeping the lease is more often about making the owner’s life easier. Minimize the maintenance he/she has to do. Give them a helping hand or just visit when you see them out there. Keeping peace in camp isn’t always easy but you’ll need a lease boss. Not to police everyone, more for a primary contact to the owner. They can also settle disputes should they arise. As mentioned, put all rules and consequences in writing and have members sign. Give them all copies, post that in each blind and/or community area.

Comment

One I wish we had. We can kill one trophy and one cull. Had a guy shoot 3 trophies one year because he couldn't find the first two. Only to find them later in the season and collect the heads. 2 of the 3 were young deer we had been watching. If you shoot a trophy and can't find it, in my mind that's it. Your hunting a cull now.

Comment

Sounds to me like a few have been hunting a place and now turning into lease to bring in a few more members to generate some income

1) Keep the rules simple
                              2) Rules apply equally to those who have been there and those who are new

Keep it simple and enjoyable

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                                One I wish we had. We can kill one trophy and one cull. Had a guy shoot 3 trophies one year because he couldn't find the first two. Only to find them later in the season and collect the heads. 2 of the 3 were young deer we had been watching. If you shoot a trophy and can't find it, in my mind that's it. Your hunting a cull now.
                                Yes this is a good one you draw blood on a buck stated as a trophy that’s your buck for the year unless he shows back up alive! same goes if he is a cull management deer that’s your cull are management for the year .

Comment

Working...
                                X