Gus Engeling___Oct 21-25 Archery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
    I don’t live that far from it either. Never thought about hunting on it. Until now, what does one do to go about hunting hogs there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    According to the booklet and their web site you can’t other than on a drawn deer hunt. I’ve heard they are pretty proactive in killing the vermin on that WMA. If so (and I hope they are) “hunters” would definitely slow down the rate that they could kill mass numbers

Comment

I drew an archery hunt there two years ago. Best advice is to get buddy buddy with the TPWD guys running it. They had about a dozen of their friends show up for “stand by” draws, gave all of them permits and then I kid you not, gave their buds that were there for stand bys , units the TPWD guys had set up corn feeders in. Yes I swear I saw it first hand a total bs operation. I didn’t know any better and didn’t know where to request. Tried to ask a few questions and was told to pick or they would pick for me. Ended up in a unit on the highway. Yep you could see the highway from my hunting area.

Undoubtedly their little kingdom there, they act like tough guys looking for a reason, completely unchecked. It’s a real nice place and definitely some great bucks but going in blind for 3-4 days is a challenge. If your buddies with one the guys that runs the hunts, you’ll be good to go. I watched these guys show there buds trail cam pics of deer from their feeders and tell them when to be where. I left after a day and went to my lease.

Comment

Originally posted by katch66 View Post
        we'll i'm pending second draw. I love hunting the gus! I've hunted it several times as i live about 15 minutes away. If you pm me your number i will text you a pic of a map with the compartments.
        pm sent

Comment

I mentored my nephew on a youth hunt there last year. Its a tough hunt if you aren't a local. They give the best units to the people they know. Sad but true.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossTimbers View Post
            I mentored my nephew on a youth hunt there last year. Its a tough hunt if you aren't a local. They give the best units to the people they know. Sad but true.
            I agree that this happens, but if you have 4 Wheel Drive with High Clearance you have a shot at a good Compartment. Everyone in our group had 4 Wheel drive and we got a good unit. The sandy hills is what will get you stuck, but we did not have any problem. I am a local, but they do not know me. I just get lucky I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
              We'll I'm pending second draw. I love hunting the Gus! I've hunted it several times as I live about 15 minutes away. If you PM me your number I will text you a pic of a map with the compartments.
              Did you Draw a permit or did you go the Stand By route when you were able to hunt there?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradical BH View Post
                I drew an archery hunt there two years ago. Best advice is to get buddy buddy with the TPWD guys running it. They had about a dozen of their friends show up for “stand by” draws, gave all of them permits and then I kid you not, gave their buds that were there for stand bys , units the TPWD guys had set up corn feeders in. Yes I swear I saw it first hand a total bs operation. I didn’t know any better and didn’t know where to request. Tried to ask a few questions and was told to pick or they would pick for me. Ended up in a unit on the highway. Yep you could see the highway from my hunting area.

Undoubtedly their little kingdom there, they act like tough guys looking for a reason, completely unchecked. It’s a real nice place and definitely some great bucks but going in blind for 3-4 days is a challenge. If your buddies with one the guys that runs the hunts, you’ll be good to go. I watched these guys show there buds trail cam pics of deer from their feeders and tell them when to be where. I left after a day and went to my lease.
                I guarantee this good ol boy system is very rampant in a lot of draw hunts and I bet some guys on here have experienced this but are keeping their mouth shut.

Comment

Originally posted by MtnMike View Post
                  Did you Draw a permit or did you go the Stand By route when you were able to hunt there?
                  I've drawn the permit. I might try standby this year.

Comment

Look for some thick stuff where a creek/drainage crosses some other topography change, and climb high. There are some solid bucks there.

Comment

Anyone interested in splitting an airbnb? Found a 3 BR house close for $99/night.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                        Anyone interested in splitting an airbnb? Found a 3 BR house close for $99/night.
                        I am. I saw that too. Blue house?

Comment

Ok yall, Kyle (Texasproud02) and myself have secured a 3 bedroom house on the North side of Gus if anyone else want to join and split.

Comment

Good luck. I didn't draw Gus for GDE either. I did draw RC Trinity Unit Archery and Big Lake Bottom archery though!

Comment

Well. I managed to botch my chances before the hunt even began.

I read the email notification wrong and didn’t buy the permit! There goes years of points wasted. I’m a read moron sometimes.

Comment

Hunted within a couple of miles of Gus Engeling for 30 plus years on my buddy's family farm. Catfish Creek ran through that farm, and I can attest to seeing some great bucks in and near the creek bottom. The picture in my avatar is my son back in 2007 with his first buck taken on that farm, about 150 yards from Catfish Creek. To date, both of our personal best bucks were taken off the same stand location near Catfish Creek. One of the biggest bucks I have ever seen came out of that creek bottom crossing a big field. I was too busy watching 2 spiders fighting on my blind's window sill to notice until he was half way across the field. By the time I had gotten my rifle up and on the buck, he was just a couple of steps away from the treeline, and he quickly vanished. None of the other guys that hunted with us ever saw that deer, and we never got any pics of him on trailcam. Great area with some beautiful terrain.

Comment

Working...
                                X