Leon Cty Potential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
    You are right on point. We only get about 5 days of archery season before the bucks disperse. We are on the west side of Centerville. SW of Jewett
    Sounds like you are close to me... I'm on Hwy 39 and between Hwy 7 and hwy 79

Just put out some soy and corn mix a couple of days ago. I had to stop putting out feed this year. My money went to building a huge blind for the family to hunt together.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
      Exactly what a game warden told me about Leon county. We had a small place there for 35 yrs just north of centerville on the west side of the highway. Very few deer made 4 and only a couple made 5. So we hunted hogs instead.
      But those older bucks really had impressive trophy bodies and chocolate racks.

Those bucks above are really nice deer for western Leon County.
      Leon county got way better after antler restrictions. However, it is rare a deer makes it to 4 years old. They do have some nice chocolate antler genetics in area.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargus View Post
        We have been feeding Purina AntlerMax 20% exclusively since we started putting the protein to them. The first several years it was a standard 55gl drum with an Academy free choice head. Last spring we upgraded to a handful of larger feeders but still free choice heads. I have been REALLY shocked by the lack of raccoon activity. I anticipated ten plus trash pandas every night. We might see 10 in a month. Not sure why, but definitely counting my blessings. They get camera shy about the 2nd week of October and it usually lasts until mid December to early January
        Just wait... the trash pandas will come. I will get up to 10 at one time under a feeder

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
          They are looking great. I don't have anything close to that in Leon county. But then again I only feed Bucees corn and grass burrs.

If they are true leon county bucks you might get a chance at them for one or two days. Be ready

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
          Yep, my Leon County critters get buccess corn only too. And sometimes I all leave them a 1/2 eaten buccees rhino taco.

Comment

I would plant a good fall plot.
            We ended up hog-proofing 2 small plots (approx 1.5 acres each)
            And saw our biggest deer there consistently.
            Does lived there.

What I saw with AR on our place was the neighbors killed every 13” buck regardless of age.
            I actually would have preferred them to shoot the first buck they saw and go home (1 buck county) instead of top ending the wider spread genes year after year. I finally gave up seeing a mature deer and shot pigs and does. Then sold it 2 years ago.

JUst my opinion after 35 yrs of feeding and watching them.

Comment

Good luck! Great lookin bucks!

Comment

Great looking bucks. Looks like a good hunting year.

Comment

I’m between Flynn and Leona, our numbers aren’t as good as I would like, we don’t shoot any does, just trying to get the numbers up, last year all we took was a LH spike.
                  We don’t take but 2 bucks/year off right at 200 acres.
                  I like antler restrictions but I think the neighbors don’t follow this rule very well.
                  We have taken a couple decent bucks over the years with some good ones on camera.
                  The grandkids do all the hunting, I’ll go and try to get a coyote or a hog and have seen some really nice bucks, I let them walk.
                  It’s a short season, once the rut is over it’s over for buck hunting, they go nocturnal.

Comment

Looking great amigo! My pops place is really close to you. He only feeds corn but always has a few lookers every season. We really don't hunt them though...

Comment

I’m between Flynn , Leona , centerville off Cr 490 - just does and actually saw a small bachelor group of 4 bucks come by once this year but nothing special. It’s just a doe place and to take kids out to.

Comment

Yeah, so far only have a bachelor group of 3 bucks and none are shooters....

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Yeah, so far only have a bachelor group of 3 bucks and none are shooters....
                          I have 4....I think one is barely 13"

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Way to feed and see results

Comment

Originally posted by Texas452 View Post
                              It’s a short season, once the rut is over it’s over for buck hunting, they go nocturnal.
                              Or dead. We always thought the best week of the season was the last week of October.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                                Or dead. We always thought the best week of the season was the last week of October.
                                I agree.
                                When I was a bow hunter, youth weekend and opening weekend was always the best to bow hunt bucks.
                                Now it’s grandkids.

Comment

Working...
                                X