Elk in coolers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk in coolers

Trying to figure out how many coolers or what size coolers I may need for an upcoming elk hunt. I have 2 Yeti 75's. Will a quartered out bull elk fit in those or will I need more?

I've put a grown cow in a 100 qt. that was boned out. I think you should be good with 2 75's.

Comment

Originally posted by Young gun 12 View Post
      Trying to figure out how many coolers or what size coolers I may need for an upcoming elk hunt. I have 2 Yeti 75's. Will a quartered out bull elk fit in those or will I need more?
      My bull took a 120 and another large cooler, but it was full quarters. Worst case you can always snag or borrow a cheap igloo somewhere.

Comment

Most of my quartered out Elk has fit into one 150 quart cooler. If you shoot a large bull, you will need more coolers space than what you have

Comment

I used two 150's so you have some room for ice.

Comment

I used (2) 150 quart Igloo coolers w/ice to haul my bull that was quartered out. The hindquarters basically fill one of them.

Next time I go, I will take a 4' nonworking chest freezer to use as an ice chest.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
              I used two 150's so you have some room for ice.
              I also use Two 150’s for a bull. It’s hard to cool down bulk meat if you don’t have enough room for ice. I put the boned out meat in contractor bags and pack with ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                Most of my quartered out Elk has fit into one 150 quart cooler. If you shoot a large bull, you will need more coolers space than what you have
                Yes , 150qt igloo +
                I took 4 150qt to Trinidad Colorado , we killed 3 bulls and had them butchered, wrapped and frozen, I needed all 4 with room for dry ice FWIW .
                In quarters I doubt 1 150 would work
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-22-2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

My elk last season completely filled a 150 and 110 boned out with ice. I helped with another smaller bull that would have fit boned out in a 150.

Comment

Leave room for ice as noted

Get more cooler space

Know of individual that lost deboned meat due to lack of ice

More cooler space is better

Comment

Years ago when when we were living in Austin prior to moving back home here to Wyoming, I drew an elk tag here.
                      I bought a 130 qt Coleman cooler. After I killed my elk I had a couple of days before I had to leave to Casper so I had my elk processed and frozen.
                      I was able to get the entire processed elk plus dry ice in the cooler for the long drive back to Texas.
                      Two 75 qt coolers may be fine if you de-bone your elk but don't forget about how much ice will take up. You may want to go a little bigger.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

We had a 160 Qt igloo and a 75 qt yeti, and the hindquarters wouldn't fit in the 160 bone in, so we boned it out. I would think that two 75's would be really tight.

Comment

I have always used (2) 95 quart coolers for the quarters and misc meat. I also take a smaller cooler to put the hide in.

Comment

I have a 95 qt Pelican and 2 others that are 60 qt+ if needed. Loan only, not for sale!

Comment

We usually take a deep freezer loaded with frozen 1 gallon jugs of water. Try to park in a cool spot and there is plenty of room for meat, jugs etc. Also can plug it in at the hotel/ motel on the way home...

Comment

Working...
                              X