Question for the TBH electricians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first of all... I want to do it right. Not redneck engineered,(but that may happen)

I have 10 acres I want to build my "last" house on in a year or so. I just got through having a barn/shop built. 30x40 metal building.

Now I need to run power to it and put in the electrical. I have a meeting with a PEC engineer next week to determine where my main power box will be.

I figure it will be about a 150' run from main box to sub panel in shop. I'm looking to put in 3 20 amp breakers for lights/outlets and one 50 amp breaker for a welder. I'm thinking a 125 amp subpanel would work.

Big question is...what size wire should I run from main box to sub panel? originally, I was thinking 6/3wg but wondering if I should to 4/3wg.(underground)

oh, and I'll run wire to my well house 75' away from main box. Figure 6/3 wg would work.

thoughts/suggestions...

I would would run 3/0 Aluminum URD, and have a little more flexibility for whatever might happen in the future.

Comment

If you want to do it right, think ahead. Is your future house gonna be closer to your main service or the barn? Is everything out there all electric? Or will you have gas appliances? What size service is the power company building? Will you be responsible for building your own service and they drop down to it? I have an idea on what I would do but want to know a few answers first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        If you want to do it right, think ahead. Is your future house gonna be closer to your main service or the barn? Is everything out there all electric? Or will you have gas appliances? What size service is the power company building? Will you be responsible for building your own service and they drop down to it? I have an idea on what I would do but want to know a few answers first.

From where I think my service box(200 amp) Will be a meter pole with service box, will be...

house will be 130 +- feet, well house, about 75 '

house will be lectric & propane

I'll trench from service box to shop/well house /house. all separate lines.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
          I would would run 3/0 Aluminum URD, and have a little more flexibility for whatever might happen in the future.
          2/0 will work but I agree…do the 3/0 for flexibility

Comment

I've done exactly this. 30x40 shop is built home will come closer to retirement.

I had them put 400amp pedestal in. 200 for each. I ran 250 mcm in 2" conduit just in the odd event I need to replace the wire. It's 250 feet to the shop. We have an RV in the shop, full bath and an extra 50amp rv plug with room to spare

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2 meters for my set up. 1 at the barn, 1 at the house. Both are 200 amp service. I have a low pitched roof coming off the southeast side of the barn. I am thinking about solar panels on it and feed the grid for credit on the barn meter to use against the house meter. My barn was there 1st and had service for 2 RV connections. Since the cabin was built, I have only a fridge in the barn now running full time.

Comment

Whatever size wire you pull, you will need 4 conductors, not 3. I would put it in PVC. The number 6 and 4 you spoke of are not big enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  From where I think my service box(200 amp) Will be a meter pole with service box, will be...

How close will house be to shop?

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post

The reason I’m asking how close the shop will be is because it may be easier to bring the full 200a to the shop now. Mount A feed thru panel on shop with 200a main and just take whatever circuits you need for the shop/well from that panel. Then when house is build you come off that 200a panel at the shop to the house. Without lengths I can’t size wire.

As far as well house goes you could come off main service or shop panel, whichever is closer. Not sure how big your well is but we typically run a 30a 240v circuit. Must wells nowadays can be on a 20a.

Comment

Looked in my well house & I have a 30 amp breaker for the well itself.

House will be around 100' to shop. Didn't think about using shop as main panel when I had it built.

with the distance being "relatively" close to equal from shop to house and shop to meter, I'll probably run the 3 different service runs to well, shop & house

meter to shop around - 130 - 150' depending where meter pole is.
                      meter to well around 80'
                      meter to house around 130 - 150 ' depending on where meter pole is.

looking at 4 strand Aluminum Conductor Underground Direct Burial (would use a conduit)

Comment

Meter to shop I would run 2/2/4/6 AL in 1 1/4” pvc
                        Meter to well house I would run 8/8/10/12 CU in 3/4” pvc
                        Meter to house I would run 4/0, 4/0, 2/0, #4 AL 2” pvc

Comment

I just ran power to my shop last weekend. 80' run
                          500' roll of #4 copper (2hots 1 neut 1 grnd)
                          1 1/2 pvc
                          disconnect box below meter with a cpl breakers for outside power if ever needed
                          100 amp panel (that fuse was 90$)
                          ground rod
                          100ft romex
                          cost me 1100$ in materials
                          Pops rented a mini hoe to pull stumps for the weekend so i borrowed it to dig the trench

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                            Meter to shop I would run 2/2/4/6 AL in 1 1/4” pvc
                            Meter to well house I would run 8/8/10/12 CU in 3/4” pvc
                            Meter to house I would run 4/0, 4/0, 2/0, #4 AL 2” pvc

Why the reduced size neutral?

Comment

You don't need the neutral for your 230 volt loads.

Comment

Working...
                              X