No announcement yet.

Question about pellet smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Pitts & Spitts and the only time my temperature moves is when I open the lid. Otherwise it’s rock solid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      I have a Pitts & Spitts and the only time my temperature moves is when I open the lid. Otherwise it’s rock solid.

My RecTec 700 Bull is the same. No swings until I open the lid.

Comment

I got to add; My Pittboss has a set of P settings. 0-7 It dishes out pellets on a on off time cycle.
        If the weather is cold and windy, it affects the P setting temps.
        Set it on 200 or whatever, it's pretty solid. It goes by temp there and not by a timing cycle.

Comment

I have a Pit Boss 820d that I bought a few years ago. I added a Savanna Stoker controller. It's plug and play. Temps don't swing hardly at all unless I open the lid. It also has some really nifty additional features as well.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
            I have a Pit Boss 820d that I bought a few years ago. I added a Savanna Stoker controller. It's plug and play. Temps don't swing hardly at all unless I open the lid. It also has some really nifty additional features as well.

Nice - I like after market!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I get temp swings in my 820, but usually within 20-30 degrees at times. I'd start by cleaning the internal probe located on the pellet hopper side of the cook chamber. Also they make a heat deflector mod that folks rave about. If you look up best pit boss mods you will find it i'm sure. One other think I do is slowly bring it up to 300 degrees after start up and then back it back down to my cooking temp before I put the meat on. It seems to help calibrate it or something.

Comment

They don’t have a port to stuff a dependable thermostat? Opportunity for an upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post

My Pitts & Spitts is the same, temp does not move 1 degree unless I open the lid. Pitts & Spitts has a new smoker - it has pellets on one side & a stick burner on the other.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
                    My Pitts & Spitts is the same, temp does not move 1 degree unless I open the lid. Pitts & Spitts has a new smoker - it has pellets on one side & a stick burner on the other.

That is se***xy

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                      I have a Pitt Boss pellet cooker. Cooking baby backs and want to set it on 250 for 4 hours - I set it on 250 but the actual temperature varies from 200-300 with out me touching it. Why would it not hold a steady temperature? Thanks for input

I have the Pitt Boss Austin XL that I bought in 2019 and it has temp swings similar to yours. I still have no idea why it does that but I’ve just learned to live with it.

Comment

Clean the ash and fire pot very well.

My Recteq holds extremely steady. My old treager did decent but not like my recteq

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
                          I have the Pitt Boss Austin XL that I bought in 2019 and it has temp swings similar to yours. I still have no idea why it does that but I’ve just learned to live with it.
                          I have had the same unit since Nov 2019 and I don’t have the same big temp swings like that unless I open the door. I have used mine when it’s below freezing outside and it help temp just fine. I do however clean mine out somewhat often. Maybe it’s the kind of pellets you use also. I can tell you, some pellet Mfg’s have less actual real wood in their product than they do filler and that will hurt consistency.

Send an email to pit boss and let them know. They will make it right I promise!
                          Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 03-06-2022, 12:40 AM.

Comment

I can’t speak for the lower end pellet grills but the higher end units use PID controllers and they are typically tighter on their control.

Comment

It's normal for lower end smokers.

Comment

I've got one of the "lowest end" units you can buy and I don't have swings like that.
                                My outdoor gourmet has been doing well for over 3 years. But I only use it 3 to 5 times a week.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by DRT; 03-06-2022, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X