Installing outlet in boat for Q-beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing outlet in boat for Q-beam

I am looking to install an outlet on my boat console, cigarette lighter type to plug in a Q-beam on my boat. How big should the wire be and what size fuse is necessary, is 20 amp big enough. I already have one but other stuff on the circuit and the spotlight trips the breaker. On the exixting one the wire even gets hot. Any boat riggers out there please PM helpful info. Thanks

Get a cordless led you will be much happier. I had the corded Qbeam and it is always tangled up in something. 20 amp with 10 gage wire is about right make sure you get a plug with 12volt along with usb slots

Comment

Cordless is the way to go

Comment

I ran 16ga wires back to the batteries on a 10 amp fuse for my dedicated 12vdc outlet. I use it for my Qbeam and phone charger. No problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Wire size and amperage/fuse requirement depends on your Q-beam's draw requirement.

I have some old floating fish lights that make great spotlights when navigating at night. They are really cheap now too. But also like the battery powered Q-beams. I've used those when hog hunting on private land many years ago.

I've got both dedicated spot/flood on my boat bow now that can be turned on/off from the helm. And just added two 1,000 lumen spot LEDs to the stern, one for on each side, for backing the boat down the ramp in the dark. They are great for setting out dequees and for fishing too.

Comment

Use 10 or 12 gauge depending on how far the plug is from the battery. Don't use less than 12 gauge.

Comment

The current draw of your device plus the length of the wire will determine the gauge necessary. The fuse size should then be determined according to the wire gauge.
              There are charts/calculators on the web you can use to determine the right size:
              Maximum current (amps) in a 12V electrical circuit vs. size (AWG) and length of wire.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                The current draw of your device plus the length of the wire will determine the gauge necessary. The fuse size should then be determined according to the wire gauge.
                There are charts/calculators on the web you can use to determine the right size:
                https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/a...uge-d_730.html
                Or use 10 gage .... but I’m no engineer

Comment

Here are instructions on how to make your own hard hat light.

hard hat light. mucho mas bueno

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                    http://www.drundel.com/hunt/hardhatlight/

hard hat light. mucho mas bueno

That's a dang West Virginia Coal-miner's Coon hunt-n cap!

I might have seen somethun similar in my younger days.

Comment

Led light bars the way to go. If not I would get cordless .

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Comment

As said, cordless LED (I use a dewalt 20V), or hard hat light. Cigarette lighter type plugs are trash. Cord pulls out easy, bad connection, etc.. if set on plug in, swap plugs to the two prong trailer light type plugs. They’re much more secure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X