Predator Hunting gun info and WTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ABroussard View Post
    22-250 or 243 would be my choice all day long.
    Great choices I would add 223 to bunch..due to ammo is so popular...

all; 3 are capable of WT deer/hogs too and great for young uns ladies too!!!

Comment

22-250 or bust

Comment

Hard to beat a 223 55g vmax..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Is 22-250 ammo common and easy to find? In normal times, not now where everything is scarce like now. I shot a blackbuck with one 20 or so years ago and loved it. Looked at buying one and ammo didn't seem readily available at retail stores and priced high compared to calibers like it.

Comment

Back in the day when we did a lot of varmint hunting I had two rifles bought just for that purpose. A .220 Swift and then a .22-250. Not a lot of difference between the two in all reality, both flat shooting and are killing machines but I can or could before Covid lol, buy .22-250 ammo everywhere.

We shot factory ammo and bought it by the case. So I'm a fan of the .22-250.

Comment

I would say the 243. You can shoot 58 grain Hornady Superformance @3900 fps, 75 grain Superformance @ 3600 fps or bump up to a 95-110 grain for deer and pigs. So much range all in 1 gun and the 58 grain Vmax basically matches the ballistics of the 22-250. I personally shoot the 75 grain Vmax Superformance. Drops pigs or Yotes all day and blazing fast. But you can't go wrong with 22-250 or 243 in my opinion.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Fmjag64; 11-19-2020, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Checkout a cz 527 in 6.5 Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by Statton48 View Post
                  I’d personally go with a 22-250. Very accurate and deadly
                  Hard to beat this one. Definitely no need to go larger and my second choice is a .223 Remington. Load them with Hornady V Max ammo and you are ready to go.
                  Adios,
                  Gary

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                    Is 22-250 ammo common and easy to find? In normal times, not now where everything is scarce like now. I shot a blackbuck with one 20 or so years ago and loved it. Looked at buying one and ammo didn't seem readily available at retail stores and priced high compared to calibers like it.
                    It used to be. I got lucky and found 100 rounds for 140 dollars the other day and went ahead and bought them.

But then again everyone and their dog has one so in times like this it'll be one of those that is hard to get ammo for. If I were going to get a new predator huntin gun right now I'd look at the .224 Valkyrie most likely and even that might be hard to come by. I'd definitely try and choose one that not everyone I know has. If close range was more likely I'd probably look into a .17 Hornet or something similar or maybe even a 220 Swift if I was planning on shooting anything 300 yards or further.

Comment

Predators here in Tx do not weigh much over 40-lb. I use the 17WSM when fur hunting, 25gr soft points at 2800-fps, doesn't tear the furs up.

Comment

What you can get ammo for the easiest, anything from .17-30 caliber will work if you are just trying to get rid of problem animals, if you want to save furs 17-22 caliber varmint bullets will save the pelts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If looking for a dedicated varmint gun in Texas hard to beat the .204 ruger. And if looking to get ammo it is actually still available online at reasonable prices in decent quantities.

I can't recommend the CZ 527 Varmint rifles enough. Fantastic shooting weapons and in .204 ruger is a laser out to 300 yds on coyotes. Also what is nice about the .204 ruger is there is a lot to be said for being able to watch impact of your bullet on fur. .22-250 won't be able to do that with a lighter calling gun. And significantly cheaper to shoot than a .22-250 when everything gets back to normal.

Comment

I like my 22 Nosler a lot, has dropped every coyote I’ve shot with it in its track and i have never found an entry or exit so it saves pelts, haven’t had a problem shooting hogs with it and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a deer in the neck with it

A round that just came out that I will probably build an AR in soon is the 6mmARC, a 243 but in an AR platform

Comment

.223 for me

Comment

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                                I would say the 243. You can shoot 58 grain Hornady Superformance @3900 fps, 75 grain Superformance @ 3600 fps or bump up to a 95-110 grain for deer and pigs. So much range all in 1 gun and the 58 grain Vmax basically matches the ballistics of the 22-250. I personally shoot the 75 grain Vmax Superformance. Drops pigs or Yotes all day and blazing fast. But you can't go wrong with 22-250 or 243 in my opinion.
                                Very prettiful firearm!!

Comment

Working...
                                X