Spirit vs Genesis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spirit vs Genesis

Our mighty yet humble 2-burner Weber Spirit is in its twilight. Technically, it’s still perfectly capable of another 7-8 years, I suppose I just don’t have the interest to rebuild it. I could fab another steel base for it, replace the burners and electric igniter, but with 2 teenage boys we actually need a bigger grill!

We looked at the Spirit 315 for $650 and the Genesis II 315 for $830. We are not looking at grills with a stupid side burner. Despite how tough these are, has anyone bought a Genesis then realized later they over spent. Conversely has anyone bought a Spirit then wished they’d gotten the Genesis?

For as much as we use ours (4+ times a week), we’re probably going with the Genesis this go round, but $830 is a hefty chunk. Just want to double check with folks before spending the money.

I would be interested in this feedback as well. Getting ready to buy a new grill and was leaning toward the Weber Genesis myself.

Comment

I bought a Spirit a few years back & love it. We’ve had other bigger grills with side burners & etc...did need that either.
      For my family of 4 & our multiple weekly grilling sessions, it has plenty of surface space & doesn’t take as much space on my porch
      Good luck

Comment

Had the Genesis for 4 or so years now. 0 issues and cooks great. I grill ~3 times a week and every single component is still in great shape. After a good cleaning you would have a hard time guessing if it's 4 years old or 4 months old.

I don't have any experience with the Spirit, but if size is the main difference I have never been upset with having too much space!

Comment

I had a Genesis as my first Weber and absolutely loved it. Years later, I bought a Spirit in an auction, since my Genesis was needing some repairs and I wanted to support the event.

To me, the temperature control is much better on the Genesis, at least even heat across the grill. My neighbor told me he had the same experience. So go with the 3 burner even though the price is a little more.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! We were just going to go with the 3 burner Spirit, but it didn’t seem as sturdy as our older 2 burner. Even heating would be great, though we’ve adjusted over the years to the hot and cool spots on ours. The Genesis definitely seems more solid, just wanted to make sure it wasn’t all show. Sounds like we’ll get the 3 burner Genesis.

Comment

This is my Weber Genesis that I refurbished last year. It was 7 years old at the time and I could have waited another year , but I went ahead and replaced all the burners, flavorizer bars and electric flame igniter. It all cost me less than 200 bucks.

[/quote]

Comment

I have the same as Tpack, and have upgraded the grates and flavor bars to the same one he has. The stock cast iron rust out over 5 or 6 years. LOVE mine and use it almost as much as you. I do like the side burner for cooking fish and seafood outside.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                  I have the same as Tpack, and have upgraded the grates and flavor bars to the same one he has. The stock cast iron rust out over 5 or 6 years. LOVE mine and use it almost as much as you. I do like the side burner for cooking fish and seafood outside.
                  Oh man, I hadn’t thought of that. I make a terrible mess frying fish in the kitchen and it stinks up the house. I will have to think about that....

Comment

Ive got a near 10yr old Genesis, use it about 4-5 a week and am getting pretty close to needing to do flavor bars, the burners and everything else are still going strong. Well worth the investment.

Comment

I had a little 2 burner Spirit for 7 or 8 years, it was great, but didn't get super hot for searing steaks unless you let it run a while.

We have an OLD 3 burner Spirit at the lease, and it's been a trooper for a LONG time.

I recently rebuilt an old 3 burner (the old red ones) that my dad bought when I was in Jr High (I'm 42 years old), and my guys here at the shop use it all the time.

You can't beat a Weber in their weight class, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        I had a little 2 burner Spirit for 7 or 8 years, it was great, but didn't get super hot for searing steaks unless you let it run a while.

We have an OLD 3 burner Spirit at the lease, and it's been a trooper for a LONG time.

I recently rebuilt an old 3 burner (the old red ones) that my dad bought when I was in Jr High (I'm 42 years old), and my guys here at the shop use it all the time.

You can't beat a Weber in their weight class, imo.
                        My Genesis takes about 15 minutes to get this hot(650°) with all burners on high. This was right after I replace all the parts.

Comment

I have 10plus years on our 2nd Genesis and wouldn’t be without one.

Comment

Definitely go with the Genesis. Much heavier lid, which holds heat better, and I think the burners give a more even heat distribution. Both are good, just think the Genesis is better, the only thing I wish my Genesis had is a searing station for steaks. Steaks are good on the grill, but getting a good char is a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
                              Definitely go with the Genesis. Much heavier lid, which holds heat better, and I think the burners give a more even heat distribution. Both are good, just think the Genesis is better, the only thing I wish my Genesis had is a searing station for steaks. Steaks are good on the grill, but getting a good char is a challenge.
                              My Genesis has a sear burner. It gets plenty hot enough to get a good sear on a steak. 650 degrees is pretty hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X