No announcement yet.

Who’d a thunk it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is cool as all get out! A home made airplane is cool enough, but that TIG fab work is unreal. I hope to learn that one day, a little bit, but not on an airplane! Me and some buddies have joked in the shop before "hell we don't have to fly this thing!", and I aint ever gettin in any airplane that I welded on!

But I'd get in that one! That looks like a hot rod!

Please keep us posted as it moves along. That's really a neat project!

Comment

Thanks Dale, and will do on the update. Right now I get any updates/info as he texts em to me. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

let me bump this, and see if Rusty has any updates....

Comment

I wish I did Chief! All’s been quiet on the western front... Actually did text the nephew yesterday, and he said he’s been busy and ain’t had a chance to “play in the shop”. He’s thinking next week is looking better though. I wish I had some cool pics to share, but nada. I’ll post any as soon as I get em! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
            Ok this right here takes the cake for DIY projects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Hands down!!!

Comment

If you can ever get him to Olney, TX....give me a shout. I can hook him up with a tour of where I work. It’s called Airtractor Inc, & we build modern day crop dusters, amphibious Firebombers, & a miltary plane. We make the majority of everything in-house. He’d be like a kid in a candy store out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice!

OP, that motor is hot!

Comment

wow what a build

Comment

Awesome Beardedbuck! And you’re right! He’d be in hog heaven! Who wouldn’t?!! Our family on my dads side seems to have a lot of pilots in the gene pool so to speak. My dad had his pilots license, dads older brother flew in the USAF in Korea, his younger brother was KIA in WWII flying a P-38 Lightning. So my nephew has had a grandad, and a couple of great uncles that flew, so I guess he comes by it honest. Thanks for the offer! I’ll let him know! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

You know those were originally oxy acetylene welded right. Your tig welds are way more than enough.

Beardedbuck. Those air tractor conversions are awesome!! Saw an article about them being used in africa.

Comment

Lungbustr, yep, I knew that they were originally oxy-acetylene welded. Along with race car frames as well. Tig welding is “new” so to speak. Funny thing is, I do lots of oxy-acetylene welding too, cuz I like doing it, it makes a good weld, and just to keep my old school ways honed abit. If I’m welding say 16 ga sheet metal, oxy-acetylene makes a cleaner weld cuz it’ll “burn out” the black scale that’s on the sheets. Where if I Tig it without sanding the weld edge, it’ll usually pinhole in a couple of spots from the impurities of the mill-scale. Actually I think I posted some oxy-acetylene welding on a feeder build thread I did, can’t remember for sure? Anyway, thanks for the feed back, and vote of confidence! I never concern myself with my welds as a rule, BUT… it works on your nerves abit considering this application! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                          Beardedbuck. Those air tractor conversions are awesome!! Saw an article about them being used in africa.
                          Yes, our plane are all over the world. We've had some come back from areas where they grow the coca plant that have bullet holes/dents in the bottoms of the planes. The pilots are hired to spray/kill the planted fields and there are guys on the ground hired to try and shoot down the planes. Those planes have a Kevlar re-enforced belly and bullet proof glass in the cockpit.

I love seeing young folks with the drive and desire to build aircraft. It shows a lot of dedication and discipline to do so. Things like this have to have a lot of thought process involved and loads of attention to detail. I mean after all, you're putting your life on the line once you load up, take off, and leave the ground......so things had better be right!

I hope Spidermonkey will keep this thread updated on a regular basis, as it has really perked my intrest!

Comment

I’ll do the best I can, only info I get I get via text when he gets something new done. Which here lately he hasn’t got as much done. Been busy I guess. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Building a RANS S21 Outbound aircraft in a home garage

Here is a link to his YouTube channel he keeps going bout the plane build. Hope it works, cuz me and technology don’t usually get along too well. Plus, he he has other videos too, gun builds, cerakoting, and I don’t know what all else. I can barely figure out how to watch a video, much less put a video on YouTube. Oh well, leave it to the youngsters! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Beardedbuck View Post
                                If you can ever get him to Olney, TX....give me a shout. I can hook him up with a tour of where I work. It’s called Airtractor Inc, & we build modern day crop dusters, amphibious Firebombers, & a miltary plane. We make the majority of everything in-house. He’d be like a kid in a candy store out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                That looks like fun stuff there. My type of crop dusting. That gun in the bottom picture, looks like the same one the used to use on the Cobra helicopters years ago. That could be pretty cool, you could get up close and personal with that thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X